Sign in to follow this  
Russ_B

Raven Head In Stone

Russ_B   

Hi

Attached is a little Raven head in a stone called ivoryite. The stone is around 4.5 in hardness once sanded to 1200 as this one is the tactile feel to your hands is like a heavy elephant ivory.

Thanks for the information that is freely shared in this forum.

Russ

post-1953-0-67100600-1314881134.jpg

post-1953-0-84755800-1314881156.jpg

post-1953-0-81343500-1314881187.jpg

Janel   

Hi Russ,

Where does ivoryite come from? It looks lovely in the photos. What sort of tools do you use with it?

Janel

Russ_B   

Thanks for the note.

I did a small write up on my site at http://web.me.com/russblackatmac/http___russblackstonecarver.com/Tools_and_Techniques/Entries/2010/3/6_Ivoryite_as_a_carving_stone.html

The stone comes from south western USA. The dealer's name is on the link. Very nice person to deal with. Robert Poley Jr is his name.

You can work the stone with a blade using the scratch method described on your forum site. I made a small carbide blade that work very well from a broken carbide drill bit.

It would be great to see some other results from great carvers from this site.

Russ

Janel   

Hi Russ,

Do you know if Ivoryite is similar to Meerschaum? A quick 'what it' search for Meerschaum shows it to be lacking calcium as an element, unlike Ivoryite, which you described on your web site as contaning sedimentary Precipitate magnesium, calcium and silica.

These two materials sound similar, but are maybe a little different from one another. Just wondering...

Janel

Russ_B   

Hi Janel

I have never worked with Meerschaum but from the information on the web these are different. Ivoryite is much harder and heavier too. The rough work getting the stone to shape requires diamond blades and lots of water. There is no need to wax ivoryite when finishing the stone.

I hope this helps.

Russ