Building Up My Lapidary Workshop Help!

3 replies to this topic

#1 Kristie C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hey everyone! My name is Kristie. I'm new to lapidary and want to start building up my workshop. I have experience with cabs but I want to dedicate my work to making stretched jewelry out of stone. Anyone who is unfimilar with this; it is a body modification where people stretch their pierced ears and lips. It is common in also many African tribes, and stone is a very common material for this type of jewelry. There are some very beautiful pieces of this kind of work but I'm kind of lost as to what to get for my studio to make the form. I know I will need a flex shaft, and of course the usual genie and saw for rough. Unfortunately I do not know yet how to post some pics for examples but you can google "stone plugs" and get the idea. Thanks for any help you can give!

#2 Tony N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

check out jewwlery maker for burs or even ask your dentist for his old ones also try carbat tec good luck and all the best

#3 Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi Kristie.

The trimsaw/grinding wheel combo attached would be a good start. I would also investigate point carvers as I think they would be better than a dremel for creating the recessed centres of the plugs. Let me know if you need more info on where to get this equipment.

Cheers, Billy.

Attached Images

• Attached Image: Screen Shot 2013-12-16 at 8.09.04 AM.png

Life is a precious treasure

#4 Dan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

I have made a few out of wood with other materials set in the wood. soapstone/corian/bone/crushed stone chip are all set in the wood surface. . not too difficult to make them the hardest part I found was to make a set of gages where both are exactly the same size.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users