billzach

hello, i,m a coin carver

8 posts in this topic

hello i,m new to forum and my carving name is billzach...i,ve been carving coins for 10 years and have carved about 800 coins ...i carve all kinds of coins from pennies to twenty dollar gold coins..most early carved coins were on buffalo nickels and were called hobo nickels...i use a gravermax and hand push gravers and sharpen my gravers with a grs power hone, i also use a microscope in my carving..[ps] the coin on the left is a morgan dollar reverse carving with buffalo bill being the subject..

post-196-1140556027.jpg

post-196-1140556255.jpg

Howdy and welcome.

Do I understand correctly that you have taken minted coins and reworked them?

Impressive work. :lol:

Howdy and welcome.

Do I understand correctly that you have taken minted coins and reworked them?

Impressive work. :lol:

[/quote......yes, i do mostly commisioned work, carved coins sell for as low as $5 to as high as $4,500, it depends on how detailed and smooth they are...

Impressive work,love the hobo nickels. Do you have more to show or do you have a web site. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

I love these hobo nickels!  Tell me, how do you manage to get the background so smooth?

Marcus, i use my gravermax to remove excess metal first and then finish up with a #38 flat carver, then i use a sanding stick to take scratches out, then i use a micro-blaster..by having carved so many coins, smoothing background [field ] is something i do without thinking, thank you for your comments [ps] I enjoy and study your work as you are one of today,s master engravers.