Sign in to follow this  
E George

Repair of bone carving

Recently I broke a bone carving that I made for my wife. It is a jagged break and can be glued. I would like any "Words of Wisdom" on the type of glue to use.

Thanks

E. George

Hi George,

Long time since my last post. To repair a bone carving you can glue the broken parts using any cyanocrylate adhesive (holding the parts for a few seconds), be carefull with it because it dries very fast!!! Or you can do it with the white glue that carpenters use (this is the method that I use to get materials like bone and wood, you need the use a clamp and at least 24 hours to get a perfect dry. Once it´s dry you can cut it, carve it, turn it, et cetera) I don´t know how the broken piece looks like or if it moves... (I don´t think that this is clear) Let me refrase it like this: The glued piece can´t make ANY movement or it will brake again.

Hope to help and hope to see other answers ;)

Hughs,

Sebas

Evening George,

I have used both CA glue and wood glue for repairs and both have drawbacks. The CA glue has no flex or shear strength but it is invisible. Try a medium viscosity and clamp in place. Clamping does help.

Wood glue has more strength but as said does require a long clamp time and the glue may show.

A previous thread under Materials was on epoxies and had some good products and suggestions. That is what I would use, just requires a more controlled glue up.

Guest ford hallam

Hi George

It might help to use a pin ( of the same material) to splint the two pieces together. What I mean is, if the affected area is thick enough and not too translucent you can drill two corresponding holes, one into the broken face of each piece. Take care to align the two holes so that they can be brought together with the pin linking them thus providing extra internal strength and bonding surface. Sometimes this is the only reliable way to securely join fragile items. I've used this method countless times on ivory and antique Japanese bronzes.

Good luck, Ford ;)

If the piece is not a candidate for a pin, would it be a stronger union if the faces of the broken bone were drilled with a tiny burr to make pits or holes which are not parallel to one another, to cause the glue to have "fingers" going in different directions which would act as the pin(s)?

MY GOD! ONE ANSWER IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER!

No better place for carving learning!

And the winner are... THE PIN - And Janel´s EXTRA HOLES! :)

Excellent ideas.

I know that is a world spread idea but the use of pins sounds very greek to me, like Parthenon´s marbles :);)

Hughs,

Sebas

Hi All,

Thank you all for your ideas. I think I'll use the CA. The "finger" joint technic is unique and may have application in the future.

When I finish the repair, I'll upload a before and after photo of it.

Thank you all again.

E. George