Janel

Workmanship? Skill? Expression beyond the technical?

This is an interesting topic, but it does seem to be one that merely spins around peoples opinions about what has "meaning" or "emotional expressivity" or what has merely stark technical virtuousity. This can be as varied as the number of people who want to offer their opinion. There is no objective answer. It is all contextual. Mostly it relates to each individual's personal story.

I am going to start a new topic where I hope to explore some other aspects of this activity of creation that I personally find a bit more interesting. I hope some of you will share your own experiances as well.

Namaste,

Magnus

Guest ford hallam

Hi Magnus,

I must agree with you that this discussion does have an element of "spinning around peoples opinions" ;) , this was precicely why I started the thread on the nature of discussion, to try and tease this aspect apart. :ph34r:

I do think though, that this thread has thrown up quite a lot of interesting food for thought. It is also heartening to hear the viewpoints of the various people with whom we are engaged. This sharing of opinions does, I think, help us to learn a little about each other and personally I have gained a better feeling of some of my fellow forum members.

I'm also interested to jump in on your proposed new thread, come on then , where is it? ;)

Namaste, Ford

Guest ford hallam

and to add a bit more to the pot,

I think Doug has made a few very important comments about the scale of our work. Leon and Karl have picked up on this already, and Karl added some further important points. ( and really intersting links, thanks )

I think that this matter of "the aesthetics of scale" is probably worthy of a dedicated thread, particularly if we can get down to specifics and lots of images.

I'll do that, and start a new topic.....

Namaste, Ford

Coincidentally, I read an article today regarding the work of the well known Canadian painter Ken Danby, who recently passed away.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/story/200...dryden-ago.html [/url]

One of Danby's best known paintings entitled "At the Crease" depicts a masked hockey goalie hunched in the crease like a warrior. The subject has been mistakenly thought to be the iconic (if you are Canadian) Montreal Canadiens goalie Ken Dryden.

The artist is quoted from his website, recalling a meeting in which he tried to correct this misconception with someone who owned a print.

"One day, a woman complimented me on my painting At the Crease, which she referred to as 'That painting you did of the goalie, Ken Dryden,' " he wrote. "She said that she had long had a print of it in her home and really enjoyed it. I thanked her, but also explained that, 'It isn't an image of Ken Dryden.' Looking puzzled, she replied, 'Yes it is.' I responded, 'No it isn't.' After a long pause, she loudly exclaimed, 'Yes it is!' I quickly apologized, with the sudden realization that she was right. It's really whomever one wants it to be."

Art is, after all, what the viewer wants it to be.

Phil