Jim Kelso

rant

Not sure I agree with the concept of a second Q&A thread. I don't find the questions distracting, in fact, mostly, with this audience they have been cohesive and integral with the tutorials, adding to the value, I think. To have that separate, in my view, would be awkward. Either the questions are germaine or not. I would say do it whichever way suits you.

Patrick: I appreciate your comments. It was a complex moment. I see what you mean about talking about decision making which could be valuable. Much easier to talk about it now when not in the thick of it. Perhaps a lesson is to wait until the piece has finished and the dust settled before beginning a tutorial.

Guest ford hallam

Hiya Jim,

I think you`re absolutely right with regard to finishing the work first and then presenting to tutorial. I think the additional consideration of your audience can only have a negative effect on your freedom to work in an uncontrived manner.

Also, I think that the kind of decisions any maker has to constantly make about form, texture etc as you proceed, are best left unsaid. After all it is intensely personal and I doubt the value this infomation may have for any other artist. I feel that too much explanation may diminish the work, it must speak for it`s self. If it`s voice is very soft then we must learn to listen more acutely.

looking forward to the next one. If I`m able to get my photography needs sorted I`ll see if i can`t do something too. ;)

love to Jean,

keep chippin`

ford

Jim,

I think Ford is correct stating that a work must stand by itself. Your leaf is an elegant statement in the best Japanese tradition. The beauty of the most common object. I think many artists fill the hollowness of their work with words.

Dick

Even though I like the concept I have to agree that the two separate threads would be awkward especially since they would descend the list at different rates and get separated. You could link them together with hyperlinks so as to not miss out on one or the other, but still it might be awkward.

My thoughts on the mid post comment were mainly to help the reader that comes later to grasp the tutorial as a whole. I didn't mean to imply that they had no value. I really like the idea of preparing the tutorial in its entirety then posting all at once. This would take care of the continuity and allow for all the follow up questions in one neat little thread!

I am not trying to alter or set policy in anyway, just throwing out suggestions that may promote lively threads. Ones that will satisfy everyone including the author the asker and the reader then stimulate more more and more!

Not sure I agree with the concept of a second Q&A thread. I don't find the questions distracting, in fact, mostly, with this audience they have been cohesive and integral with the tutorials, adding to the value, I think. To have that separate, in my view, would be awkward. Either the questions are germaine or not. I would say do it whichever way suits you.

Patrick: I appreciate your comments. It was a complex moment. I see what you mean about talking about decision making which could be valuable. Much easier to talk about it now when not in the thick of it. Perhaps a lesson is to wait until the piece has finished and the dust settled before beginning a tutorial.

I think that kind of misses the point of a tutorial. It fits perfectly with "show and tell" though. The suggestion for this type of information was simply that, just another approach you could take to help teach. Yes I agree its personal, but when you’re making a post specifically to teach your personal technique it’s rather dry to list off some tools and post a few photos. The creation of something so organic is much more complex than that. Sharing personal thoughts on process may dispel some mystery, but isn’t that what teaching is suppose to do?

Hiya Jim,

Also, I think that the kind of decisions any maker has to constantly make about form, texture etc as you proceed, are best left unsaid. After all it is intensely personal and I doubt the value this infomation may have for any other artist. I feel that too much explanation may diminish the work, it must speak for it`s self. If it`s voice is very soft then we must learn to listen more acutely.

love to Jean,

keep chippin`

ford

Well Ok, let's see....It's obviously a complicated issue which people will have varying opinions about. Another point is that different pieces will lend themselves to the tutorial format better than others. I think there is a point with any work where it's essence goes beyond verbal description.

I think with the leaf, I found that once I established a technical approach, so much of my energy was going to other, tacit, elements of it's creation: minute decisions about form, line & texture that are perhaps best kept out of the realm of linear thought. It was at that point that I questioned the value of continuing the tutorial. I'm fine with how it all turned out. None of this is really that momentous. If it had value to some and none to others, that's fine.

Stirring the pot is definitely a good thing :)