Janel

I have begun!

Janel

If Jim S. has turned a top 1/3 inch in length please show a photo of it with something for scale. It is not that I don't believe you . Last week at the monthly meeting of the Denver woodturners one member had three pieces ranging from 1 to1 1/2 inches. A piece 1/3rd that is incredible. Thanks

Wayne

I will see if I can do that if I visit his studio this week, as I hope to. He keeps them in a little jar. Now I have written myself a note about it. I think that he uses a detail gouge.

Janel

Seeing is believing! I was stunned this afternoon by Jim's ability with a normal detail gouge and a regular piece of wood!

The Man:

theman.jpg

The Tool:

thetool.jpg

First Top:

firsttop.jpg

First Two:

firsttwo.jpg

Third Top:

thirdtop.jpg

All Three:

allthree.jpg

We are looking at something turned that is likely 2mm in size, or just under, with the third top. Pretty amazing!!!

Janel

Janel,

I have a top blank on my bench waiting for a lathe,maybe when i get back from vacation i'll give you a call and check out your new lathe.

Seeing is believing! I was stunned this afternoon by Jim's ability with a normal detail gouge and a regular piece of wood!

The Man:

post-2-1238216076.jpg

The Tool:

post-2-1238216089.jpg

First Top:

post-2-1238216100.jpg

First Two:

post-2-1238216115.jpg

Third Top:

post-2-1238216157.jpg

All Three:

post-2-1238216163.jpg

We are looking at something turned that is likely 2mm in size, or just under, with the third top. Pretty amazing!!!

Janel

Since I just found this forum and registered today, I thought I'd contribute something. Just on the thought of lathes and machine tools in general. This site:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeharr/history.htm For one has a really good discussion of "Ornamental" turning - special turning but I thought Ya'll might find it interesting. At the bottom of the page is a link to the gallery, where there are many fine images. Ornamental turning takes a special lathe or at least an altered lathe to do - this just shows what lathes can do when you supercharge them......

Well, this is another way of combining turning and carving. The thing is a bagpipe drone, made from a rather plain but very hard and carvable NZ timber (kanuka), with bone mounts and Celtic knotwork carving, at the request of the customer. The headstock (the thingy you put the chanter into) has the same kind of green man carving as what is on my avatar.

post-2194-1246772703.jpg