Sign in to follow this  
Garfield

burl - removing the bark - how to?

I am a beginner wood carver and have always wanted to do a burl. I have received a pine burl and want to know how to remove the bark without damaging the wood beneath it. I realize pine is probably a poor burl to work on, but it is a practice and learning activity. Your help is appreciated.

Hello Garfield,

Welcome to The Carving Path forum! I don't particularly know the answer to your question but I'll ask you one or two...

Is the pine burl freshly cut or has it had a long sitting time for drying? Is the bark tightly attached to the wood? Are you wanting to preserve that particular surface just under the bark specifically?

Some woods hold fast to the bark, others have a loose connection. Since this is for practice, you will be able to learn some of the answers are you attempt to move forward with bark removal and carving.

I hope that all goes well for you with this project. Other members may be able to give you more specific information.

Janel

Hello Garfield,

Welcome to The Carving Path forum! I don't particularly know the answer to your question but I'll ask you one or two...

Is the pine burl freshly cut or has it had a long sitting time for drying? Is the bark tightly attached to the wood? Are you wanting to preserve that particular surface just under the bark specifically?

Some woods hold fast to the bark, others have a loose connection. Since this is for practice, you will be able to learn some of the answers are you attempt to move forward with bark removal and carving.

I hope that all goes well for you with this project. Other members may be able to give you more specific information.

Janel

Hi Jane,

The burl has been attached to the pine log sufficiently long for the log to be fully dried. The bark is both loosely and tightly attached, that being the issue. I was wanting to 'peel the onion' so to speak in terms of getting the bark off and only the bark so that I can see what is below before going further.

Hi Garfield,

I've dealt with this issue some and there doesn't seem to be a magic bullet. I would say it comes down to a combination of techniques depending on the specific piece and specie. I've used mostly a combination of picking and some air abrasive. Someone recommended a pressure washer, but I never tried it.

I Googled "burl bark removal" and came up with some interesting discussions on other forums.

Please let us know your progress.

Jim

Pressure seems to be the answer. I have seen burls cleaned up for sale and every bit of bark is gone.

Can't remember if the guy used water pressure blaster or sand blaster but blasting is the way forward, have fun.