Sign in to follow this  
Bob Newell

Identifying some Japanese vases

I wonder if anyone can identify this craftsmans mark, I presume they are Japanese, and as I cant understand Japanese I expect I may have it upside down, but if anyone can tell me anything about the vases I would be forever grateful.

post-2-1286496267.jpg

post-2-1286496301.jpg

It says "stainless steel" :rolleyes:

No, I'm just joking but I think it's a Chinese casted vase. If it was hand made in japan it would have looked a lot better in the details and the sign in the bottom looks very much casted.

This is how a real Japanese vase looks like and I think you'll see the difference in craftsmanship quality:

jp_bronze_vase1-1.jpg

jp_bronze_vase1-4.JPG

jp_bronze_vase1-7.JPG

It says "stainless steel" :P

No, I'm just joking but I think it's a Chinese casted vase. If it was hand made in japan it would have looked a lot better in the details and the sign in the bottom looks very much casted.

This is how a real Japanese vase looks like and I think you'll see the difference in craftsmanship quality:

jp_bronze_vase1-1.jpg

jp_bronze_vase1-4.JPG

jp_bronze_vase1-7.JPG

I think you could be right about it being Chinese so now I am looking for someone to translate the chinese :lol:

I have to agree with Henrik Y ......... not Japanese and cast. I spent nine months in China chasing Turquoise in the late 80's and when I saw the characters my thought was Chinese or Korean. The reason I say Korean is the characters look longer than Chinese characters and Korean characters have many more horizontal lines. If it is Chinese the characters are not modern simplified Chinese characters but from old times, modern characters have been somewhat reworked so they take less strokes to make. I studied simplified Chinese characters for awhile, just the basic character set was 1800 different characters, needless to say it did not take long to lose interest.

I would think that there are more than a few Chinese carvers at least looking at this forum, if so I have no doubt they will tell you what it says.

All my best ........... Danny

I have to agree with Henrik Y ......... not Japanese and cast. I spent nine months in China chasing Turquoise in the late 80's and when I saw the characters my thought was Chinese or Korean. The reason I say Korean is the characters look longer than Chinese characters and Korean characters have many more horizontal lines. If it is Chinese the characters are not modern simplified Chinese characters but from old times, modern characters have been somewhat reworked so they take less strokes to make. I studied simplified Chinese characters for awhile, just the basic character set was 1800 different characters, needless to say it did not take long to lose interest.

I would think that there are more than a few Chinese carvers at least looking at this forum, if so I have no doubt they will tell you what it says.

All my best ........... Danny

Thank you Danny, I have another large very heavy brass vase which I believe is English Victorian. On the front is an Anchor and flowers. The flowers I thought were silver but when it is not polished it goes blue. Would I be right in saying it is Gun metal and not silver. I will endeavour to get a picture later.

Bob

Thank you Danny, I have another large very heavy brass vase which I believe is English Victorian. On the front is an Anchor and flowers. The flowers I thought were silver but when it is not polished it goes blue. Would I be right in saying it is Gun metal and not silver. I will endeavour to get a picture later.

Bob

here are a couple of not too good pictures of the vase

post-2664-1286625582.jpgpost-2664-1286625567.jpg

post-2664-1286625594.jpg

Bob,

I sent the image to a friend in China and am posting their reply.

Dear Danny

Hello, thank you for your mail. I read the image you sent, but unfortunately it is too blurred to recognize what that Chinese character is. I am sorry >.< It seems that those are traditional Chinese characters,

what we use now are simplified Chinese characters.

Looking forward your new order.

As I said in an earlier post I thought the characters were traditional .......... Must have been a good guess. I was hoping that this persons father could be of some help but apparently none of them are good with the old character sets.

All my best ......... Danny

Because these are in fact traditional characters you might just have something that is old.