Sign in to follow this  
Mibeck

Pallasite......has anyone worked with it

Mibeck:

I'm sure the mineralogists/meteor collectors are having a heart attack! Carving a meteor must be the ultimate sacrilege to them. You do know how valuable this rock is, don't you? These are pretty rare rocks.

The composition of the stone will make it soft and hard, and the only thing that I've carved that would be in any way comparable would be Llanite. It's a combination of granite and quartz. The granite carves easy and the quartz ... not so much. The problem enters in when trying to get a uniform polish. The soft stuff goes away and the hard stuff remains resulting in an "orange peel" finish. The solution is in using hard things to pre-polish and polish with.

For example, you can achieve alot with stones. Donn Salt does amazing jade carvings and uses stones to smooth with. Jade has a tendency to orange peel. You can use polishing compounds on brass rods or hard wood wheels that are charged with diamond powder or polishing compounds. Just bear in mind that a leather or rubber wheel has give to it, and will grind in more where things are soft.

Good luck with your project. I hope this helps. Try reading the discussions on stone carving: Donn Salt, Daniel Lopacki, Kenneth Neaves, Dante Lopez, Lauri and I have all posted on the fundamentals of stone carving, so look in the past posts to get tips.

Debbie K

Mibeck,

The meteorite that you want to carve will be quite difficult. The yellow in it is Olivine/Peridot, Peridot is quite soft as gemstones go, the rest of the meteor is most likely iron/nickle and very hard, this said it will be almost impossible to end up with a carving that is smooth and even. I am not saying impossible just almost impossible. I'd keep the piece as is because this type meteorite is quite rare and most likely worth quite a bit to a collector.

If you purchased this from Ebay, it may not be what the seller is saying it is, I had a friend have me look at a Pallasite meteorite on Ebay he had an interest in, when I saw it I told him I doubted it was what the seller was calling it, it almost looked manmade.

Perhaps you should listen to myself and Debbie K ............. Keep it as is. If you need to know more about this type meteorite I recommend that you check out Robert Haags website, or get his book THE ROBERT HAAG COLLECTION OF METEORITES. Robert was one of the Discovery channels top ten treasures in the world in a show they did years ago because of his collection.

Hope this is of some help ...... All my best ........ Danny

P.S. Its a meteor when still in space, once it hits the earth or elsewhere its a meteorite.

post-2604-1288639812.jpg

yes i do know its valuable.

but then artists have traditionally reused lots of valuable materials in the creation of other art peices.

ive come to the ultimate conclusion that as a material substrate has far too

many variables to be worked effectively for my

purpose and that other material may work just as nice.

my skill and invention are rarely in the same room at the same time anyway and id hate to

destroy it. So i'll concede that the universe made one really good art peice on its own.