Sign in to follow this  
Phillip Montgomery

A Large Carved Drinking Horn

This is a Carved Cow Horn ,Ceremonial drinking Vessel I made for the Florida SCA group called, The Kingdom Of Trimaris. It has 12 carved bone inlays and a lot of lapis and pearls inlayed also . This piece was done several years ago now. hope the pics are not toooo big Hope ya Like it

post-3163-0-22360900-1328647786.jpg

post-3163-0-02461000-1328647814.jpg

Hi Philip,

Very impressive work. How did you proceed to "glue" the inlays on the horn? If you call them inlays I guess they are not just glued?

Did you apply some bee wax or some other thing inside the horn?

Thomas:

Gorgeous work. I also enjoyed looking at your website. Hope you like it here, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Debbie K

Hi Philip,

Very impressive work. How did you proceed to "glue" the inlays on the horn? If you call them inlays I guess they are not just glued?

Did you apply some bee wax or some other thing inside the horn?

Thank you very much!!!

The large figure carved pieces where attached with, amazingly enough, a white liquid nails, as it is a very strong adhesive and it fills any space not perfectly fit to the horn. It could when dry be carved /formed to appear as if it was the bone where it might show. I had to score the horn and the bone to give the adhesive something to hold on to but other then that it has held up VERY well for going on 5 years now.

I seal all of my drinking horns, that I do, with only Raw bees wax. It lends so much to the beverages that the ,to me ,commercial petroleum or oil sealants just cant compare with it . Especially if drinking a mead or beer from it.

Thomas:

Gorgeous work. I also enjoyed looking at your website. Hope you like it here, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Debbie K

I have a long way to go and a LOT to learn and it helps to see others work and talk shop.

thank you very much !!

Hi Philip,

Thanks a lot for the explanation! What you call liquid nails is what we call nail varnish in french?

Liquid nails is a construction adhesive.

Liquid Nails

Hey Phillip,

very nice work as usual. I am always glad to see another of your pieces. I would as a boon, from you if I might. The next time that you do a piece similar to your small wolf's head horn, would you mind putting together a tutorial, on doing inlays, like you did on the teeth. I know it would probably help out quite a few, that are following behind yourself, in skill level. I know it would definitely help me quite a bit.

Again, Fantastic work, Brother.

Peace,

Rod

Very impressive Phillip. Thanks for sharing. Any sequential photos would be much appreciated.

Jim

Hey Jim, there actually is a photo log of me making it here http://bonecarverpm.deviantart.com/gallery/

you will find it in my how to gallery I have several series of horns and how I carved them in a step by step basis. I didnt want to re-post all the pics here to save space that link should be good. I hope it helps !