Lachlan

Quotes That Shaped Or Inspired Your Work

Thought it might be nice to share quotes or sayings that have inspired or shaped the way you work, or look at work.

Some quotes/sayings I recently stumbled across reading about Donn Salt. Definitely trying to apply these to my work. Apparently two qualities looks for by old jade collectors:

"The jade had to be so well carved it denied being carved by a mere mortal"

and

"The jade carving appeared to be imbued with life"

A quote I found years ago on a leather working forum and helped the way I looked at my carving is:

"The work should look hand made, not home made"

There is definitely a difference!

What you can do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. ~ Goethe ~

The enduring favorite quote is part of my signature here on the forum. It has been the encourager at a multitude of points during my career.

Janel

PS: Thank you Lachlan, good idea for a topic.

"what else can you do?" my mom.

People are so busy telling others what they cant do that individuals can sometimes agree when it is an untruth. so the real question is, is not what one cant do but what can they do?

Nothing in - nothing out - garbage in - garbage out

If you don't try you will never know

What is the worst that can happen? Can you recover from that?

What I say to people starting to carve - you think that is bad, my first pieces were so ugly people thought I had done it on purpose. "I love it, it's so primitive" was something I was once embarrassed to hear, even though it accompanied one of my first sales, now I laugh about it.

Like doctors we can always bury our mistakes

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step (Laozi)

just keep swimming (Dory from Finding Nemo)

and it came to pass, it didn't come to stay - (Mark Lowry), no matter what you're going through, it will pass, good or bad,enjoy it, it will pass

My Gosh I sound miserable! I'm not, really, no, I'm not, but to learn, to acquire skill and knowledge, you have to start where-ever you are and keep trying, each time you try you get a little better, but enjoy the process, not the results.

Andrew

I don't have a favorite saying, or quote ,,, but when I am carving something and I get to where I am trying to decide what to do,,, I tell my self ,,, " just go get bold and carve away" .

"Learn the rules like a professional so you can break them like an artist."

This is a quote that simultaneously acknowledges the necessity of a foundational skill set, while also encouraging the pursuit of whimsy. This is exactly how I endeavor to approach my work.

"Learn the rules like a professional so you can break them like an artist."

This is a quote that simultaneously acknowledges the necessity of a foundational skill set, while also encouraging the pursuit of whimsy. This is exactly how I endeavor to approach my work.

I do like that quote. It fits me just right.