Janel

Bench Mount Digital Video Camera?

For years I have wondered about acquiring a digital video recorder that would work in close range to the carving bench, from the entire bench of tools to close in to the carving so the area being worked is full screen. I used my old Nikon 4500 which shoots 35 second bursts which need to be edited and joined together, and the demo timed to fit the seconds available.

Has anyone had successful experiences with such a camera? I would like to learn more about it.

I have not had any video camera to work with. But I have thought that if some one would have one of the new cameras that you could mount top of your forehead to capture what you are doing and seeing. I would love to see how other carvers work from their side, and of course they must think out LOUD so we can also hear their thoughts.

I wondered if that would make a good teaching video.

alot of wood workers that i have watched on you tube have ceiling mounted cameras perhaps something like that would be better. something with a moving arm that you can position above your work or from any point around your bench so you can take video from any point. that would also eliminate any vibration from your work or the bench.

here is a video and i know there is plans on the web

Thank you Ed and Dan,

Ed, I have considered the head mounted type, but my head bobs around a lot, and I'd bet most folks could not take more than a few seconds of that.

Dan, some iteration of a ceiling or wall mounted moveable arm sounds like a good idea. I have some old elbow lamps that could work if the camera weighed about what the lamp and hood weighs. Mounting not on the bench is a good idea, my bench moves too much for a consistently stable image.

Now, I wonder about the cameras themselves, and if anyone has seen them used for small, close in work?

Hi all

I would say one of the new go pro cameras would be the right tool for the job. They are small and light and come in a water proof shock proof case and can have a range of macro lenses fitted quickly and easily and even have a variety of mounting brackets available. You can check them out on you tube - try "go pro close ups" as a search. I'm pretty sure they would stand up to the fine dust that ends up coating most things in my workshop.

Cheers

Darryn

Hi Darryn,

Thank you. I have been biding my time, hoping that the GoPro might do the closer in work. I'd really like to communicate with folks who actually have one of those cameras to get a better sense of what it is like to work with, and what needs to be done with the data to render it useful for various applications. And ... waiting for the capital to become available.

Janel