Sign in to follow this  
Darryn R

Dragon Prow

I found an old Totara strainer post and decided to carve a dragon prow which was a fun task.

The wood was VERY old and dry and had a tendency to split and splinter so a fair bit of care was needed with this project especially on the neck. Appropriately Danish oil was used to bring out the woods natural colour :D and the prow now stands guard outside my front door.

post-3901-0-84845200-1410345979.png

post-3901-0-77857100-1410346004.png

Hi Janel

Sorry about that!

Here in New Zealand we have a tree called a totara that was/is a favoured wood of the Maori carvers of Aotearoa for making waka (canoes) and other carvings such as the fronts of the carved meeting houses as it is a straight grained wood that is naturally resistant to rot and comes up a lovely dark reddish brown colour.

It was also hand sawn and split and used as fence posts by early european settlers/farmers and a strainer is just a larger post that anchors the fence and takes the strain when things are tensioned up. The piece I used was very old and all the natural oils had pretty much been leached out while it was buried in the ground hence the splitting problems.

Cheers

Darryn