Jump to content
Peter H

Post Something You Just Made Or Working On...

Recommended Posts

Hi

I thought I start a topic for recently finished or still work in progress pictures.

anything goes, just add a little description about what your doing :)

 

me first: found a piece of rock in a pile in my garden.. I thought it could be potch opal but honestly have no idea. scratches glass... anyways. .I started making beads out of it. (not polished yet) Here is the first one. I dont have time to continue atm but work in progress :)

post-4280-0-93237900-1488266271_thumb.jpg

post-4280-0-56075100-1488266334_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Peter! Thank you for sharing this as this is exactly what we were chatting about earlier. Great example of how a backyard find can turn into something really nice.

 

Might it be some kind of quartz I wonder? Has a nice glow to it.

 

Kindest,

Heidi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2017 at 1:10 PM, Heidi L said:

Hi Peter! Thank you for sharing this as this is exactly what we were chatting about earlier. Great example of how a backyard find can turn into something really nice.

 

Might it be some kind of quartz I wonder? Has a nice glow to it.

 

Kindest,

Heidi

yeah , quartz :P

 

I ended up making 3 more small beads from it. very layered stone . not the best stuff, only sanded it to 400 grit.. 

 

I took some pics of what Im doing now.. 

I made a little cab today from an agate I had lying around. my second cabochon...a bit of a free style shape cuz the agate has so many layers and cavities 

I also got a big chunk of Nephrite rough. Siberian...spinach green when I shine the light on it. (other side is polished) Im thinking about making a beaded necklace and a matching earring.. hmm.. 

and I was finally able to bring an old motor back to life. 1957. good vibes. I decided to build my own grinding machine and saw cuz its pretty simple and cuz dremel grinders and cutting wheels wear out fast.

I just need to do some maintenance, oil the motor and change some wires. I'm gonna build the arbor from 2 ball bearings and a shaft to drive with the belt and build a wooden case for it with water drip system. 

Also this is an open thread so anyone else feels like posting a pic of his work bench feel free..

DSC01284.jpg

 

DSC01278.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

this is one I have been working on since Christmas - just a guy drinking tea.

it is a copy of a something I saw in a magazine advert for some Chinese hotel - I have used American Cherry - the real thing sits in the hotel foyer, is made of bronze (I think) and is huge

 

I just like the sense of calm / serenity / simplicity

 

I could work further on the detail but I have decided to keep it uncomplicated

I was trying for the elusive chatoyance - got it now and again but the lustre soon faded

 

This was a distraction from a Maltese falcon type piece of work that I am struggling with in American walnut - have to get back to that now!!

 

Good to see you guys posting stuff - keep it up.

 

David

 

 

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_6551.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Peter!  Thanks for sharing what you've got going on now with the quartz and nephrite!  Love the Siberian Jade - I think that is my favorite along with Lilac Jade from Guatemala.   The shades of green look really cool.  

This weekend I am setting up my workbench and space, so I will post photos as soon as it is closer to being done.  Also got a hold of a small slab of inexpensive Lapis, and small piece of Wyoming jade to start working with.  Might do a couple of simple pendants, practice making the hole and polishing.

Thanks for sharing this - love that you brought to life an older motor too.  Probably will work better and last way longer than anything new!

Kindest,

Heidi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi David!  Wow this is such a great piece.  Love the color of the wood..I don't think I have seen anything quite like it.  And just as much as the material, this carving is really really nice.  It is extremely calming to look at...as if you could contemplate anything going on in life just looking at it...and also wondering what this guy is thinking about.

Thank you for sharing this.

Kindest,

Heidi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, davidinedinburgh said:

Hello

this is one I have been working on since Christmas - just a guy drinking tea.

it is a copy of a something I saw in a magazine advert for some Chinese hotel - I have used American Cherry - the real thing sits in the hotel foyer, is made of bronze (I think) and is huge

 

I just like the sense of calm / serenity / simplicity

 

I could work further on the detail but I have decided to keep it uncomplicated

I was trying for the elusive chatoyance - got it now and again but the lustre soon faded

 

This was a distraction from a Maltese falcon type piece of work that I am struggling with in American walnut - have to get back to that now!!

 

Good to see you guys posting stuff - keep it up.

 

David

 

 

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_6551.JPG

Nice!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi L said:

Hi Peter!  Thanks for sharing what you've got going on now with the quartz and nephrite!  Love the Siberian Jade - I think that is my favorite along with Lilac Jade from Guatemala.   The shades of green look really cool.  

This weekend I am setting up my workbench and space, so I will post photos as soon as it is closer to being done.  Also got a hold of a small slab of inexpensive Lapis, and small piece of Wyoming jade to start working with.  Might do a couple of simple pendants, practice making the hole and polishing.

Thanks for sharing this - love that you brought to life an older motor too.  Probably will work better and last way longer than anything new!

Kindest,

Heidi

Yeah, dont forget to post pics :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Peter H said:

Yeah, dont forget to post pics :) 

Here is the start of my bench. This little set up was just $75 at Home Depot.  It came pre-assembled and all I had to do was open the box, fold it out and stand it up.   I am waiting for the waterproofing to dry but once that is finished I can start adding to it :)

It is the perfect width - narrow enough to pull my car into the garage yet long enough to have a few stations for working.  When I am working on  projects I can move the car out.  Sturdy little thing too.  I only have a one car garage and no basement, and I did not want to start carving in the house due to added dust.  This I think is a good little start.  I am waiting on my Dremel 9100 to arrive, and will begin some simple shelving once the bench is dry. Now I just need a landscape painting to put up on the wall, to pretend like I have a window!

bench1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Peter

Thanks Heidi - funny you should mention a landscape painting.  that's something else I am working on for our bedroom-current idea is a line of birches with the sun rising behind to match the silver/green/grey colour scheme of the room - I might share the result with you if it's any good.

Thanks again for your comments.

 

Kind regards

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, davidinedinburgh said:

Thanks Peter

Thanks Heidi - funny you should mention a landscape painting.  that's something else I am working on for our bedroom-current idea is a line of birches with the sun rising behind to match the silver/green/grey colour scheme of the room - I might share the result with you if it's any good.

Thanks again for your comments.

 

Kind regards

David

Sounds great David, would love to see it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a pic I upload cuz Ive been having mad problems with splash  today using a water drip system and a new cutting disk. 

I do wear a full face mask but water vapour carrying nephrite dust into the lungs is still a real problem because it gets on my skin and I can inhale it later from there. 

the cutting disk is 3.8 mm and gives me a lot of splashing so I use this little splash guard (a cut up plastic) and use a cut n dip method to cut the jade so instead of a constant dripping water I just do a little cut then dip the jade into water, sometimes submerging it too while cutting. and the splash guard works great. a bit harder to see but with steady hands I still get a smooth cut. 

 

DSC01289.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have a speed control on the tool?  Would a slower speed reduce the spray factor?

 

Janel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Janel said:

Do you have a speed control on the tool?  Would a slower speed reduce the spray factor?

 

Janel

yep, it has speed control ,  but even at slower speeds I still get  vapour in the air . but the plastic "splash guard" helps,

  I just wanted to post it if somebody has the same problem, this is one solution :P  

also works well when polishing with a handpiece lots of small particles get stuck on that piece of plastic !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Charla!  This is great:)

I really like the lines of the wood and how they contrast with the color of the bone.  What are the measurements of it?  Great tiny details - I really like it!

Heidi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this little slab of Lapis the other day, and I think I will start working on a simple pendant as soon as my Dremel arrives.  I think the lines in it look like a little landscape or seascape.  I'll let you know as it progresses.

IMG_0408.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Heidi, yes I love the wood and bone contrast as well. The measurements for the paddle is 28mm in length and 17mm wide.  My friends daughter paddles for one of the teams here so she asked if I could create something for her.  I just have to attach a gold bale now so she can wear a chain with it.

I love that color blue, but I have no idea what "Lapis" is. Stone? I'm interested in seeing what you do with it.

Aloha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 6:49 PM, Heidi L said:

I got this little slab of Lapis the other day, and I think I will start working on a simple pendant as soon as my Dremel arrives.  I think the lines in it look like a little landscape or seascape.  I'll let you know as it progresses.

IMG_0408.JPG

oh, yeah, should cut a few nice cabochons :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 7:15 PM, CharlaM said:

Hi Heidi, yes I love the wood and bone contrast as well. The measurements for the paddle is 28mm in length and 17mm wide.  My friends daughter paddles for one of the teams here so she asked if I could create something for her.  I just have to attach a gold bale now so she can wear a chain with it.

I love that color blue, but I have no idea what "Lapis" is. Stone? I'm interested in seeing what you do with it.

Aloha

Hi Charla!  Yes Lapis stone is what this little piece is, or at least they said so at the shop.  It was not very expensive, so I thought it might be good to start with.  (it's the really deep, vibrant shades of blue without much white or other colors that seem to be way more expensive!)

You are going to have many requests for more of those paddles from teammates!  

Kindest,

Heidi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im officially at war with dust! 

And have been experimenting a lot to find the best method to eliminate it. love it when the weather is nice!

DSC01306.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 did this lil bone fishhook today with the tools on the pic. my first one that was done without power tools. a good practice with this old rusty jewellers saw. lots of fun :PDSC01312.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awesome Peter thanks for sharing!  Gosh that jeweler's saw photo just brought back so many memories of snapped blades : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been working on making some swords lately - as pendants and as small letter openers. My kid said, "Dad, why don't you make a sword." At first it did not sound like a good idea - but I really enjoyed making them and now I want to make some more! 

20707921_10213465889338609_6835416337431344617_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×