Jim K Jordan

New favorite chasing hammers w/question

I had to make myself another pair of chasing hammers.
I found a couple of obsolete auto ball joints, cut the ball shafts out of the units and turned the ends down to suit. They are the top two on the left.
Nice raw material for hammers, induction hardened shell, softer center like a true hammer needs to be.
The handles are from some ice fallen Hawthorne limbs, hand scraped to shape and waxed.
The stick on the right is from an OLD, lilac bush, I'd like to use it for a handle too, is there any way to stabilize the rich purple color of the heartwood so it doesn't turn brown over time?
I like the cream and purple color of lilac but some pieces I've had changed to brown soon after finishing,

P_20170730_152020_opt.jpg

Sorry Jim, I have never found a solution to that problem.   Best of luck

There might be an archival spray acrylic for artwork preservation that has a UV protective element in it.  I am unable to go to the studio to find it, but begin searching for such a thing.  I may have found it at Blick art supplies.

Janel

Min wax has a water base acrylic ,that is clear, one of the few finishes that doesn't have an amber tint. The one draw back it feels and looks like plastic. Check some of the clear lacquer finishes, look for uv protection. 

For my self I use some oil and wax, and if nature is going to change it ,it will have to happen. I live on Ms. Gulf coast we deal with a lot of humidity and sun, we cannot win that battle. Just slow it a bit.

A good friend gave me some marine spar varnish, it has uv inhibitors.

A little bit amber color but I put a light coat on and it didn't change it too much.

I don't really like The feel of shiny handles, so I guess I'll live with any Browning over time.

Thanks all.

Jim

I don't like shiny varnished or acrylic finishes on my handles. I make some of my handles for my carving tools. I sand to as fine of finish for the wood I am useing , then I use a white polishing compound , then wipe down with mineral spirits , then a light coat of oil for some protection , then finish useing a rotary tool apply wax off the bar of carnauba wax ,then buff to a nice finish.image.thumb.jpg.b1b46fdaa9442f8883c64e7934ecd69b.jpg