Sign in to follow this  
Will Dikel

3D photos of my latest carving

(I'm a new member. I posted these photos of my new work on the Photography section, then realized I should have posted them here.)

Hi fellow carvers,

I'm new to the Carver's Path, and am posting my first photo. It is of a boxwood carving I just finished, patterned on the seed pod next to it. I am pretty much a beginner, and thought I would start on an easy (ha ha) project.

I photographed it in 3D, and you can view it in 3D- it takes a little practice but is well worth it. You need to have your head be level, then cross your eyes, and bring the images together until they merge. When they merge, just relax, and you will see the 3D image. Don't be frustrated if it doesn't work right away.

It is unbelievably easy to photograph carvings in 3D- all you have to do is use a slide bar on a tripod, and take a second photo. The distance between the first and second photo depends on how close you are to the subject. (Generally, the ratio of distance between pictures and distance to the carving is about 1:30)

The method is explained on

http://home.att.net/~drt-3d/

and

http://home.att.net/~drt-3d/toys/bogen/index.htm

If you photograph slides, you can buy inexpensive hold-to-light viewers to view them in 3D- then you automatically see the carving in 3D. For those of you who send photos to prospective customers, the 3D makes a huge difference in their ability to appreciate your work. See:

http://www.berezin.com/3d/viewers1.htm

Photos can be mounted on cards, and viewed with old fashioned stereoscopic viewers (or free-viewed).

I would be glad to answer any questions about this method.

P.S.

I'm totally blown away by the talent of the carvers on this site.

Will Dikel

post-466-1161450191.jpg

post-466-1161450203.jpg

post-466-1161450217.jpg

Thanks Will for the introduction to this fascinating technique! I have just posted some images for all to try viewing in 3 D. It takes a bit of practice getting the eyes to cross just right, but when you click into the zone, your eyes can move around the merged image very nicely. Click here to see more images with the 3 D technique.

I've used a white background, but I think that I will try a dark background next time to see if that is any better for viewing.

Has anyone else tried this technique yet? I set the piece up on something that it could be slid from one spot, left or right to the other position. I shot the image, then moved the piece maybe one half to one inch, either left or right. It was immediately easier than figuring out a slide bar at the moment of my need. It was close enough to doing the technique to make it work without moving the camera.

Thank you again Will. This is fun! :)

Janel

Hi Janel,

You plucked victory from the potential jaws of linseed oil defeat, and your piece looks wonderful! I am hoping to receive some more advice on my question in the technical forum on the ideal finish (e.g. wax vs. oil vs. ? for boxwood).

The 3D pictures add so much more information for the viewer/potential customer than 2D photos would. And you are correct; you don't even need a slide bar- you can simply tape a ruler to the table, and slide the camera sideways approx. 1/30th of the distance from the lens to the subject. Best to take a few shots at different distances to see which view you like the most.

I would love to see the work of other carvers posted in 3D- maybe you are starting a trend!

Keep us all up to date on your next project.

Regards,

Will

Welcome Will and thanks for the 3d technique. Very interesting. I was able to get it to work after trying Janel's first. I think the double images make it a little harder at first.