Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Blisters

Gloves- good idea. Also, do you need to alter the way you hold your tools? Change the surface of your tools? Build up calluses, like a guitar player's fingers?

I'm holding the piece in my left hand, chisel in my right, and using my left thumb to help guide the chisel. The left thumb is where the blisters are, from pressing on the metal of the chisel shank.

Is it necessary to wear gloves or is it something my hands can get used to, as with guitarists and their fingers? I'd hate to have to wear gloves.

Hi Daniel,

When I'm carving with hand tools, I use a leather (fore) finger and thumb guard on the hand that holds the tool. Do a search for "carving thumb guard" and you'll find plenty of pictures and places to buy. Of course, you could just wear a whole glove. I know some who simply cut the finger and thumb out of a cheap glove. This doesn't give you the same snug fit as the fancy ones, but it works.

I should also mention that I wear a carver's safety glove on the hand holding the material being carved. This is a glove made from Kevlar and stainless steel that originated in the meat-cutting industry but is now made special for carvers. You can also use a fish filet glove which is much cheaper but probably just as good.

Kelly