Guest ford hallam

It would be nice to see you.

Guest ford hallam

Morning all,

I've been up a while, having my first cup of tea of the day and enjoying a bright and crisp Cape winters morning. As usual I've logged into our little community here in our corner of the inter-net. It's been a bit quiet lately, even a little lonely :) .

Many of you have expressed what I believe most of us feel, that we do in fact have a virtual community here and that we value and appreciate that. I for one do make a daily check in, particularly when things are a bit tough out here in the "real"world.

There is one thing that does bother me though, and I suspect some of you may feel the same. That is the relative anonymity of us all. Despite the interaction here we remain faceless strangers to one another. I would like to float the idea that we use photos of ourselves as our avatars. That way we can begin least in some small way to interact with each other on a more direct way. The internet can be a very private place, which is ironic considering how many of us are out here, and there is often a desire to remain hidden. Never-the-less, I for one would prefer to "know" who I'm interacting with. I know that this may make some of you feel a little uncomfortable at first, but I genuinely believe that this one small thing may make a profound difference to our shared sense of community. This may even make our forum more welcoming to passers by, who may otherwise not have made any real connection with us.

So, what do you think?

as always, Ford :(

P.S

do you think I could get away with using this image as my avatar?

:mellow::o

Hi Ford,

I think that is a great idea. We are signing up in our real names we might as well have a picture of ourselves. I will put my picture on my avatar first chance. You have quite the mane if hair. I lost mine many years ago.

Dick

Guest ford hallam

Hi Dick,

thanks for the show of solidarity. Sadly though, my head of hair is long gone too, but perhaps if my name was Fabio.... ;)

Ford

Hello Ford,

Thank you for your thoughtful views and suggestions. TCP is a place I turn to for peer communication, and am gladdened by the friends and friendships we have gained from around the world.

Pictures of ourselves might add a nice personal touch, though I for one, have changed so much, that all I see is a smiling old lady, and not the personage I think of myself as. It cannot be helped. (unless I were to ascribe to staining my hair as I stain the wood...and that is not a choice I have made)

Here is a problem, I am trying to change the avatar, but maybe the image broke the file storage! I've changed so much, and the most recent photo is not very complimentary! I have tried for half an hour to figure out why the image won't load and replace the cicada. Any suggestions ( I know, I am the admin, but I must confess to not knowing everything! Blushing smiley~)? I will try again later.

Guest ford hallam

Hi Janel,

I also had difficulty loading a new image from my pc, I thought it was just my set up, seems not. I eventually refreshed the page after I had the file name in the browse window. Then it loaded, does that make sense?

Ford

Janel,

the picture was uploaded successfully. Your preferred internet browser, however, kept showing the image it had in its cache. Just click 'refresh' on this page and the cache will be updated.

best

-t

Hi,

I was able to change my avatar after several tries. The refresh works. Didn't know I got that old. I Thought all of you might get a kick out seeing a 70's version. One of those pompous self important grad school projects. I hope I lost the pompous self important part, I know I lost the hair.

Dick

post-15-1180719620.jpg

Guest ford hallam

this is more like it, it already seems more "alive" in here. ;)

Just imagine all the hair and beard as gray. It has been a few years and I for one am not fond of cameras when they are pointed at me!

It is great to finally have faces to put with names and such a simple suggestion to make the forum more of a community.

Mark

Aloha Ford,

Okay, now you've done it. A simple, yet elegant idea seems to be taking hold. Count me in, once I find something suitable. First though, I need to schedule a facial, my stylist, manicure, cucumber mask...oh yeah - Botox. ;)

Tassos

Is that you? Reminds me of David Byrne.

Karl

Guest ford hallam

This really is wonderful, now we've humanized our technology :) .

Andrew, I've just had a peek at your web-site. It's really very elegant and beautiful. I look forward to seeing lots of your work sometime soon. Namaste.

Hi Dick, I like the painting, makes you look a little like a seafarer but I prefer the new you, cheers :D

Tazzos, don't know if we should let you get away with that though. ;);)

Now we wait patiently for the rest of you to finish your make-overs and get your mug-shots out here, c'mon, don't be shy! :unsure:

very best wishes to you all, Ford

p.s. it's a gloriously beautiful day here in Cape Town B)

Guest DFogg

I have been a stranger here and I apologize, life happens.

Anyway, you can also post a photo under your profile if you don't have one appropriate for an avatar. It is a good idea.

Don

That happens when not reading carefully the thread. (me blushing)

I got for this pic a stylist, manicure ect. Ok, no cucumber mask and no Botox.(not yet) ;)

This is actually a fashion shot -me modelling in clothes my wife has designed.

regards

Karl

Hello there all,

I very much like your idea Ford, and it seems more of us do as well. This is truly a great little world community we have here - it is always good to pursue connections of this positive sort. By the very nature of our work we must go into a space removed from the macro world and this can sometimes tend to isolate us. Thank you all for sharing some of your life energy!! ;)

Blessings,

Magnus

Guest ford hallam

Hi Kathleen, well done! :unsure: see!, ultimately it's not that hard ;)

I'm really pleased so many of our merry band are responding so positively to this little idea, I really think this does significantly change the nature of this forum for the better.

Grateful thanks to everyone.

Namaste. Ford ;)

p.s. It's just occurred to me that some of you who have yet to "make the change" may also not be seeing all the new images we've posted as avatars. Try refreshing the page and see if anything changes.

Guest ford hallam

Great balls of fire! ;) I reckon you'll have to do better than that Jeff ;) unless of course you always have a ball of fire issuing from your mouth! :unsure:

Cheers, Ford

Guest ford hallam

Hi Phil,

aren't warts mandatory in museums and among conservators? :huh:

It is good to be able to have the person you're communicating with, actually "visible", I think it informs our responses to each other, for the better. :)

regards, Ford