Mouse Netsuke

Dick Bonham

Since many of the people who belong to this forum are netsule carvers and collectors I thought there might be some interest in this Okimono-style netuske. As you can see from the pictures this is a beautiful netsuke with inlaid eyes, however it is a very well done fake that fooled an advanced collector. This piece looks,feels and weighs the same as a real piece. It even has "grain" that was incorporated into plastic when it was mixed. Visually it is tough to tell that it is not real. If there is one there are more. Beware!

Dick

post-15-1110835817_thumb.jpg

Since many of the people who belong to this forum are netsule carvers and collectors I thought there might be some interest in this Okimono-style netuske. As you can see from the pictures this is a beautiful netsuke with inlaid eyes, however it is a very well done fake that fooled an advanced collector. This piece looks,feels and weighs the same as a real piece. It even has "grain" that was incorporated into plastic when it was mixed. Visually it is tough to tell that it is not real. If there is one there are more. Beware!

Dick

I have been carving spermwhale teeth for about 20 yr (when I can get them) and some of the finest fake carved teeth and scrimshaw. Come from around Liverpool.cooch

• 4 years later...

Always remember to do the hot pin test.

It will put a small barely conspicuous pinhole into the piece if it's plastic. Nothing if it's ivory. I bought a really nice scrimmed whaletooth at an antique store once for a price that was too good to be true. I suspected that it was a reproduction, albiet a good one, but the price and quality was such that it was okay if it was a "fake". Sure enough, the pin test on the inside revealled that it was a plastic piece, but I like it anyway.

Dick

Does it matter whether it is ivory or not as long as it isn't being passed off as ivory. Is it part of the Chinese mass production trade? It remains attractive. Store/exhibit it in a seperate place put aside for 'fakes'.

Toothy

• 4 years later...

it is a poor carving and an obvious fake; the paws are a mess , anatomically wrong, the underneath is a chop-chop job!!

there is a big distinction between "primitive" and luck of skill and talent. I cant say anything redeeming about this churned out thing.............

• 2 weeks later...

Archived