Nipple Sploosh

Guest katfen

Guest katfen

Hi All,

Here's another piece carved in elk antler; the crown part of the antler. The size is 2.7 cm x 8.6 cm x 7.3 cm. It was on display in the show, 10th International Open, during March of this year in Chicago at Woman Made Gallery. Here's the link: http://womanmade.org/show_pics.cgi?type=gr...2007&pic=15

All comments, questions, critical analysis are welcome :D .

Thanks for looking,

Kathleen

Guest katfen

Berlin Karl,

Thank you. No, it's not a kind of brooch. Now that you mention it; I've thought about and I think that would work well actually. Although, I don't do jewellery, so it'd be out of the question for me. It'd need to be reduced in size for a successful jewellery piece.

Mark,

Thank you. Yes, you'd be quite right, there is almost always an underlying sense of humour in my work...or at least I like to hope so. I simply cannot function day to day without a well-developed sense of humour. Thank you for taking the time to go look at my site. It's a work in progress still and carving seems to constantly prefer to be first in line to be done. Glad you enjoyed everything.

Phil,

Thank you. This one turned out reasonably well I think...it's always so difficult to please oneself with one's own work....at least I find. As to the finish, I don't use much, just give it a final polish with some white compound from the jewellery industry (can't recall the name of it at the moment) and then application of mineral oil and rubbing with a soft cloth. Nothing too complicated.

Magnus,

Thanks for checking out my site and your comments. I was very much aiming for a drop splatter effect. The material basically told me what it wanted to be...I just had to attempt doing it as well as possible. I would have to agree with what you say about there being "only the potential". Definitely, there is meant to be a disconnection implied that denies realization of the potential.

Again, thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments, compliments and time you took to look at my work. :D I appreciate it and have enjoyed reading what each of you has written. I would love to hear more from any who wish to add their comments, criticisms, analysis, or questions..... ;)

All the very best,

Kathleen

Kathleen,

I do enjoy your work. What I find most enjoyable is your wit...sharp, focused and coming at you sideways all at the same time.

It would be interesting to know how you start such a piece as "Nipple Sploosh". Is there an intellectual intent that sparks the work or does it evolve from a loose idea combined with the voice of the material?

Guest ford hallam

I've just been looking, gazing...at the nipple sploosh again. I was suddenly struck by the appearance of lots of little wriggling, tickling "fingers". I think this adds another element of gentle humour and "naughtyness" to the piece. ;)

I'm still smiling :D

Namaste, Ford

p.s. And I'd have to disagree with Berlin Karl's suggestion that it could be enhanced by being a brooch. I think it ought to float in an infinite black space, gently revolving, perhaps to suitable music. I've no idea how you'd achieve that but that is no reason not to imagine it.

p.s. And I'd have to disagree with Berlin Karl's suggestion that it could be enhanced by being a brooch. I think it ought to float in an infinite black space, gently revolving, perhaps to suitable music. I've no idea how you'd achieve that but that is no reason not to imagine it.

Hi Ford,

you are right with this statement when referring to "nipple splosh" as a kind of object of its own right (what it is of course). But it might boost the surrealistic potential of when such a piece may be worn by a man for example. And like everything in life it depends on the time and place to wear such a piece. ;)

I'm still smiling :)

I also. :)

very best regards

Berlin Karl

Guest ford hallam

Morning Karl,

actually, the idea of a man wearing it is pretty good, I like it :) I must agree, I think the effect would definitely be enhanced.

Ford ;)

Morning Karl,

actually, the idea of a man wearing it is pretty good, I like it :) I must agree, I think the effect would definitely be enhanced.

Ford ;)

Hello Ford, thanks.

But this lead me to think further about a more "sculptural" thing of the brooch thought. When depicting a body part - the might be backside is a difficult task. (This is related to medaille making). And Katfens fotos didnt show the backside.

Karl :)

EDIT: The italian sculptor-jeweller Bruno Martinazzi explores the problem of isolated body parts for years.

I try to find a suitable link. :martinazzi :)

Hi Kathleen,

I love your work. Your pieces are pure sculpture. I am going to be a PIA again and suggest that you enlarge your piece to about 3 feet and cast it in highly polished bronze or stainless steel. I know it is expensive but your work has the possibility of hitting the big time!

Dick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katfen

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments. I am happy to hear my sense of humour comes across in the manner you describe as that is defintely the intention. :D

As to how I start pieces...it varies piece by piece. For this one, I was cleaning and prepping the latest purchase of elk antler crowns....this one stood out and said it wanted to be a breast/nipple. So, for this piece it told me what it wanted to be from start to finish. Now, as to the intellectual end of it...that's a bit more complex. I tend to work in themes and series, with the occasional exception. This piece involves a theme I've been working with for some years now. If anyone is interested, I will digress further.....so if any of you are, just ask. I tend to prefer that the work stand on it's own, with it's own life and voice without interference, influence or restriction as a result of my words. This is why I don't expand on any piece verbally until asked. I appreciate your interest and your questions.

Hi Ford,

Interesting comments. Glad to see you're still smiling. Not at all suprised that you would find a "naughtyness" in this piece....seems in keeping with your general state of being. :D

I don't agree that the piece wouldn't work as Berlin Karl suggests. Having the piece floating as you describe defeats the intent of the piece and is not workable in that regard. However, I could quite easily figure out the set up to have it display in that manner....although why?...what would be the point? Of course, I guess you're just finger poking with this comment.... :P

Hi Berlin Karl,

Big grin for you! Very cute suggestion...am most impressed! However, I do believe I shall post an image of what I find to be suitable for a man to wear on their chest in such a manner.....

The backside is a smooth, hollow, concavity. I don't have a shot, or I'd post it. There is potential in the concavity I would suggest. :D;)

I like Bruno Martinazzi piece...would like to see more of his work, so shall have to go looking. Thank you for posting that.

Hi Dick,

Thank you very much. I think the enlarging would work well...although I'd choose stone to do it in. I don't even want to think what the cost would be for metal in that size. :D I'd be interested to see who would want to have such a piece done in metal as you describe....that would be fun. :P

Again, thanks everyone, I love reading all you have to say :D ,

Kathleen

Guest katfen

Here you go Berlin Karl.....

I feel men could wear such as a badge of honour almost...if one is willing to go there. :P This piece is called "Torso Twister" and is in elk antler.

I feel men could wear such as a badge of honour almost...if one is willing to go there.

Hi Kathleen,

yes this is definatly a badge of honour. But who is always able to keep the promise of it... ;)

even gods...PRIAPOS

I feel is more a little wishlist when worn by girls. :P

Maybe like that LYSISTRATA

Its always nice to see your work.

best regards

Berlin Karl

• 2 months later...

Archived