Twins

tsterling

One of the moms that hang out around our house brought her twin fawns into our garden spot today. When we quit gardening a few years back, we left the gate open and the deer began leaving their fawns in the tall weeds while they went out to feed.

post-11-1181865384.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The local doe ran through our yard, not bounding, with tail tucked down tightly, hunkered like she was trying to hide from us, in plain sight. We were in the yard, working. We did not see the fawn, but Will suggested that she was trying to catch up with it, since we did not see it following her. Curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha Don,

Apologies to all for the accumulated schmutz on this piece. It came to me recently from a former client (now deceased), who was an architect during the post war occupation of Japan. When he left there, he brought back a huge amount of sword furniture. One of the things that I did for him was to hang tsuba on all the walls of one of his residences. This image was taken before his passing, so I had not wanted to clean it without permission.

The piece is a kashira, probably formed by uchi-dashi. The reverse side has that beautiful texture that Ford and Jim mentioned in the Frog tutorial. Thin cappings of high karat gold are applied. Possibly by the method Ford mentioned; oki gane or kise gane (?). The ground is classic nanako.

KC

Guest ford hallam

wow!, you guys are so fortunate to have wildlife wander up to where you live like this. :)

As you all know we have quite a few species of deer and antelope here in Southern Africa. Ours tend to be a little more weary....for obvious reasons :):)

seconds anyone? :P

Guess who :D

Yikes! We've had a lot of interesting wildlife pass through our yard here 50 miles NW of Seattle, nothing more dangerous than a coyote, but Ford's photo begs the question - What interesting critters have been in your South African backyard, Ford? :)

• 1 month later...

Archived