My sword fittings.

Hello those are samples of some of my work. They are not new but I will post my latest work when I make photos. So till now enjoy, any comments or questions are welcome.

kashira.jpg

Tsuba2.jpg

Tsuba1.jpg

Tsubasowa1.jpg

Tsubasowa2.jpg

detal3.jpg

Hmm could enyone tell me why pictures are not working?

---

Yes. Your url has an extra www/ in the middle. I have removed them.

The web site at www.daisho.pl is very nice. Is that your web site?

Magnus, when working with steel it's good to have even small forge. Sometimes it is much easier to hammered something than carving. Building forge is really easy if you have place. It is also great fun when working with fire and hammer, you can feel really important and powerful :rolleyes: When I'm working even with a very small thing but when using anvil hammer and fire I feel like on pick of a mountain. I know that it's silly and funny but it's nice filling.

Guest ford hallam

Hi Bartosz,

I don't think the feelings you describe are silly at all. I think that, if we are honest, many of us still feel that sense of "magical power" when manipulating and controlling metal, especially when we use fire and hammer :D I'm sure this is part of what keeps many of us bashing away ;)

Nameste, Ford

Of course, but for people who deal with this kind of work every day it is normal, but for me it is very inspiring. But to be honest it's not big deal just smashing piece of hot steel placed on a steel with another steel. ;)

To be honest, more often I'm ashamed of my work than I'm proud of them. But this is another topic.

Guest ford hallam

Hi Bartosz,

I don't think anyone should ever be ashamed of their own work. Certainly, a little dissatisfaction is what I think we all feel when we finish a piece, there is always something that we feel we could do better in some way. This is why I keep trying to move forward and improve what I am trying to do. If we reach a point where we are completely satisfied with our creations then I think we stagnate, or even begin to go backwards.

In any case, you certainly have nothing to be ashamed of and I personally am pleased to see your work developing. You will also be an inspiration to others to start out on this long road too. You've got Magnus interested already ;) .We all have to begin somewhere and if we can give each other a hand along the way then we all benefit.

Very best regards, Ford

A friend of mine who is a Ute Indian tells me the native peoples always left a small "mistake" or unfinished part of their work. If you achieve perfection, you are ready for the next world and will go there...

I guess that must be why I'm still here?

Aloha Bartosz,

I'll say welcome here as I missed your intro in Who's Who. Good to have you here.

Japanese carpenters are also said to leave a small discrepancy in their work. Perhaps it has to do with humility. Reflect on some of the quotes our members use. I think you will see we all are seeking perfection. ;)

KC

btw - I like your chicken. It reminds me of cockfights that we have around here. I'll see if I can sneak in a camera next time.

Thank you all, well the problem is that I'm a sculptor and in my academy things that are consider interesting and valuable are some conceptual spiritual project, or video installation with double or triple meaning and other things like that. So when I show to my professors things witch I do in home They first of all doesn't understand that and secondary they consider them as not art object but just some technical skills witch are not interested for them. So those work of mine are not art object but just craftsmanship. And the reason why I'm ashamed is that, that for about 5 years now I'm trying to be an artist but I'm making this kind of things witch slower me in artistic evolution process. That is the thinking of my teachers. And that's thinking of most of people who are interested in so called High art.

But enough of this! there is some latest samples of my work.

dragon%20F,K.jpg

tsuba%20dragon.jpg

menuki%20dragon.jpg

Bartosz,

Even in Poland there exists the craft vs. art debate! You have found a community in The Carving Path forum that is the best of both and pursues excellence regardless of definition.

There could be room for more of this thought or concept in The Way if anyone wishes to explore it.

I hope that TCP will help you to find encouragement to follow your passion with your work. You are young, and have a lifetime of discoveries and paths to follow. Your school training will be useful, your work on what you are challenging yourself with will all make you stronger. Learn what you can, ask questions, and grow.

If your work does not interest your school professors, that is their loss. Their experience does not include the sort of work that had caught your attention. They will continue to follow their own academic path. You are on your own path and seeking to learn! Good cheers to you!

Learning to accomplish the technical aspects well will enable you to express your ideas more successfully as you progress. The history of what you are doing, the mythology of the subjects all have their own double/triple meanings in the Japanese historic culture. That is something to learn along with what you are depicting in metal. Your school people know what they know, what they learned from who taught them. You are reaching outside their tradition, towards another tradition. It is good to have open eyes!

I am glad you found The Carving Path.

Hi Bartosz

You have hit on a topic that I have a real passion about: art vs craft.

If your professors are not open minded enough to realize that art is many things to many people, learn what you can from them, and persue your passions.

It has worked just fine for me.

You will find a lot of support here.

Phil

Evening Bartosz,

Good to see your work and you will only find support here. A good teacher encourages their students to explore their self expression using quality craftsmanship...that is the start of all good art.

As to "high" or "low" art well that could produce a heated debate in some circles. I do sculpture in wood and I do so called "craft" work in wood and have been doing so for over 25 years as my only source of income.

According to to an internationally known, highly collected and published English sculptor that works in wood...I am a "low brow sculptor". Not a very flattering term. Part of being an artist is believing in yourself, finding yourself in your work and ignoring those who try to beat the creativity out of you by trying to control you. Never met an artist that could be tamed.

Well it's a difficult subject and I think there are many solutions. My opinion is this: Doesn't matter what you do, you can make big spiritual performance or make whole life only one item, main think that make it high art or not is you. What kind of person you are. If you are a moron with very shallow understanding of things even when you do big thinks they won't be a true art. But when you are open minded, intelligent and thoughtful person every thing you do will be art. (of course if you intend so). This is my opinion as a young artist almost with master degree ;)

Aloha Bartosz,

In the past, when faced with adversity, I have sought out a mentor. The "best" ones are not always the most well-known in their area of interest. Quite the contrary. They are often overlooked and perhaps in the twilight of their careers. You have to seek them out and often, convince them of your sincerity. I've posted something in the Way about this. ;)

KC

• 3 weeks later...

Archived