Live Chat?

DanM

I thought i had seen a reference to starting a live chat in one of the post. is there any interest in this happening? i have admin on the custom knife makers and collectors chat at www.paltalk.com.this chat has voice and regular text format.

Skype would be a great place to sign up for live chat. Images can be dropped and delivered while chatting with others. Group chats work great, but could become frenetic with this great group of folks.

TCP members would lose out on all that goes on though, unless the chats were planned for a particular date and time so we could all go to Skype Chat to watch or participate. Still, the communications would not become part of The Carving Path information archives :rolleyes: which would be our loss.

Still, the communications would not become part of The Carving Path information archives :rolleyes: which would be our loss.

Actually, there is a way to post the communications (the text-based ones) on Skype here. Skype keeps a record of the chats and a relatively simple copy and paste should work to add the transcript on TCP.

hope this helps

-t

You are right. Hmmm. The responsibility for such posting would have to rely on one of the chat members, as I might not be present. The concern would be that the topics would need to be focused and not drift to some long unrelated chat. Also, would all of the images posted then be added to the forum file automatically, or would they all need to be added manually, as we do when we illustrate a topic? The chat posts could be very long, too. Hmmm.

You are right. Hmmm. The responsibility for such posting would have to rely on one of the chat members, as I might not be present. The concern would be that the topics would need to be focused and not drift to some long unrelated chat. Also, would all of the images posted then be added to the forum file automatically, or would they all need to be added manually, as we do when we illustrate a topic? The chat posts could be very long, too. Hmmm.

Hi Janel,

In wanting to save the chats you also preclude the use of voice chat which is a nice feature that really helps you get to know people.

I have seen Chats where they have special prescheduled talks with a predetermined subjects. They are usually like an interview. One or two specific people who talk about a particular subject and the audience who make comments and asks questions. The content is restricted to the topic and goes where the speakers take it. It is basically the same thing we do here on the forum, but faster, less detailed and much more time consuming. It is also limited to those times when more than a few people can manage to get on at the same time. Personally This forum suits me just fine. Chat is fun but it can be inconvenient and time consuming way to really communicate detailed subjects. I am not trying to say that some of it would not be worth saving, but it would end up being a real pain in the arse.

Socialization is a big part of what chat is.

Perhaps rather than worry about transferring the conversations Chat could just be used to further discuss both old and new threads, mutual interests, and well chat . Interest can be gauged by the participants giving valuable information to help distill ideas for the creation of new threads. That way the conversations can be just that. Without worrying about policing the chat so it can be reused later. When a good idea or something needs to be addressed they can take it to the forums to share with everyone regardless of there schedule. I mean we all have to work eat and sleep. TCP lets us all do that on our schedule without missing anything. Chat can still be fun though I just would not put too much academic emphasis on it.

One on one Skype chat accomplishes a lot when myself and other are connected. My friend does not speak English, and cannot understand the spoken word, but does very well with writing. The text chat is good for one on one. More than one gets to be too lively. The controlled chat, with subject, and the leader(s) running the show may work better than a gang all writing to one another.

I agree, when I get together with a Skype chat with one friend or another, it is a great but long visit. It does not happen often, and it is very enjoyable to communicate with others who live part way around the world!

Perhaps rather than worry about transferring the conversations Chat could just be used to further discuss both old and new threads, mutual interests, and well chat . Interest can be gauged by the participants giving valuable information to help distill ideas for the creation of new threads. That way the conversations can be just that.

Sounds good.

I am not trying to be selfish and keep it all on TCP, but for instance, if the whole metals group took their communications to another place, they and their contributions would be missed. Also, I don't have any interest in policing any group chats, that is up to the participants. I would enjoy watching (reading) the show though. :rolleyes:

You have made thoughtful comments and presented ideas to contemplate, Patrick, thank you.

(I don't have voice capability for Skype yet, so the text chat is all I do for now.)

Does anyone else Skype yet? It isn't too big a deal to figure out or use it. I did!

The member time zones range is about 12-14 hours from one end to the other, with a few outside each extremity. Berlin & Cape Town are 12 hours apart from Honolulu. Melbourne, Australia is another 4 hours West from Hawaii, by the clock. I am relatively in the middle in Minnesota, a state in the middle of the US with a border with Canada. My understanding of the time frame for our members is subject to the vagaries of Daylight Savings Time, which we are in currently. "Spring ahead-Fall back" is the mantra for turning our clocks one way or the other. I still cannot figure out why it is necessary.

This is all food for thought.

Janel

I find chatrooms more of a social gathering.though depending on who is in the room,good information can be passed along better in real time. Timezones don't seem to be a problem with a lot of people,the Knife Makers chat can have people from Australia,Norway,Egypt,the U.S. all on at the same time. Not everyone is on a normal 9am-5pm work schedule. it is also away to start new ideas which can be the start of a forum thread.

Guest ford hallam

Morning all,

Having read through the thread I find myself agreeing with most of the views presented. Like Patrick suggests, I don't think we would achieve much in the way of serious technical or artistic exchange. The real value I think is in making more personal contact. Having spoken with a few members of the forum, who I've not actually met in person, I find I can relate to these people on the forum in a far more natural way as a result.

Janel, I'm a little worried that where you live there are members who are 14 hours ahead of you, and even further extremes. On my planet it is only possible to get 12 hours ahead before you end up behind :D;).

As Dan points out, many of us have odd working hours anyway. I don't think time differences would be a serious barrier.

Perhaps it would be nice to be able to chat with a fellow forum member, or members when we see each other on-line. You know, those odd time when we feel we're the only one's awake, in the middle of the night, or day!. As it is we can see who's on-line with us, we just need to let each other know if we're on Skype and if we are available for a chat. We could make our Skype names available through a pm or put it on our personal contact details. After all you have the option to ignore a request to chat, whoever makes it, on Skype,

namaste, Ford

Being in the heart of the North American continent, and having traveled off continent only twice (to Hawaii), I don't have a very big experience with meeting the world in person. The internet, the forum, and the phone all place me in the middle of my perspective. Judging when to call, (like calling Japan or Australia from here, which in my evening is tomorrow morning or mid-day there) or expect responses to inquiries from other world members is something we all do, and we base it upon where we are in the world at any moment. We each are in the middle of where we exist and base our viewpoint from there. I appreciate the reminder to think wider and inclusively.

If anyone has or is interested in Skype, PM any of us to see if we do or are willing to share our ID.

Archived