Files from Edocraft

I have just bought 5 files from edocraft. They wonderful very well made and very sophisticated. But funny think. I ordered 5 files for sword making and I have no idea what exactly is purpose of one of them so I asked owner of the site but he didn't know either, so he asked craftsmen who made them and he doesn't know also.

Guest ford hallam

Hi Bartosz,

if you can post an image of the files perhaps we might be able to figure it out together.

cheers, Ford

Was the purchase through a catalog on the internet? If so, what is the link to that file's description? We could look at it that way, if it has catalog images.

Hi there,

I guess this could be the link to

EDOCRAFTS.

Proberbly the large rifflers for sword making were the subject mentioned. ;)

regards,

Berlin Karl :)

Aloha Bartosz,

Do you mean that file (Fk2-3) is for shaping the blade or for tsuba? If I am looking at the right one, it looks very robust, like thick and square. Something you would use to flatten rough surfaces while leaning into it. The cut of the teeth is hard to see with all the pixelation, but it looks aggressive, as in fast cutting.

KC

Guest ford hallam

Hi Bartosz

It's a version of a checkering file. It cuts parallel grooves and can be used for cutting a spiralling set of grooves around a saya, if it's big enough, or fine ones are used to cut the fine crenelations on the edge of seppa. Gunsmiths use a version for checkering the wooden handles of firearms too. So basically it's a file for making patterns not actually normal filling.

If you follow this link you will see one being used. It should make it all clear. ;)

Regards, Ford

Greg, this is called yasurime, but you use normal file for that.

Thank you Ford this is exactly purpose of this file. But where on sword is this kind of think? It is still mystery for me.

Hi Bartosz,

I think the listing is a little confusing. Those files are listed as groove files, but what they do is create raised ribs. They are not for the sword itself. They are for the Saya. That is still sword related so I imagine that is why the groove files are in the sword file category. They could also be used for texturing, but the concave nature of the rows or row show the files primary purpose of shapeing saya ribs.

Patrick

Archived