Who Is Carving What?

Janel

Oooooouuu! I loooove the drawer chests on wheels! You and the other guys giving this metal carving a try must surly be having fun! It is fun for me to see all of you trying something new, learning, and growing!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Dick -

I guess great minds think alike - I recently got a Lindsay on Jim's recommendation. I've been using it to cut the outlines, then carbide burrs to remove the background, with Ford's hand chisels and punches in the delicate/hard to reach areas. That algorithm seems to be working out fairly well. I really love the Lindsay -a magical piece of engineering!

Need to get a sharpening thingy, though. Hand sharpening those tiny little graver points is a pain, and very hit-or-miss.

Hi Tom,

I just love using the Lindsay. I did hand engraving for a long time then bought a Magna Graver which works on a flex shaft. That worked very well but it was cumbersome. Since then I have developed arthritis in my hands which made the Magna Graver hard to use. The Lindsay is a dream to use. I also bought the engravers microscope and that is also wonderful. Nice to see the small stuff. I have an engravers sharpening jig which is about 100 years old but I think buying the sharpening thingey might be a good idea.

Dick

Hi Janel.

I usually go from side to side with the jig on a stationary stone with oil then use 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper with oil on my flat steel block to polish the faces. I usually set everything on an old piece of glass which allows the legs to slide smoothly. I don't know if that is what the experts do (I'm afraid I am not much of a tool guy, wish I was) but it always worked for me.

Dick

Thanks Dick, this is an interesting device, and thanks for the links. It is similar to guides used for chisels and plane blades, but designed to move sideways, which is how I have always sharpened engraving tools. I've never had much use for the woodworking ones, but the engraving guide sound's interesting, particularly when engraving steel.

Thanks again,

Phil

Hi Guys, Its been awhile since last posting here. Couldn't resist the tease in reference to carving. There is another aspect to achieve desired form apart from chisel and gravers, especially in full 3d. The old japanese masters were well familiar with lost wax casting. Modelling from natural soft waxes the most intricate details. Here are a couple of flights of fancy, a little sterling silver creature originally modelled in today's microcrystaline, soft sculpting wax.

post-97-1183601485.jpg

post-97-1183601321.jpg

Occasionally cast for fun... :)

Cheers....

Archived