Dick Bonham

Sword Fittings with Netsuke

The netsuke, sagemono theme is quite unusual! Is it evident how the coral was/is attached to the metal? Do you know any history of these? One could give some guesses for why such a theme! Thanks for sharing.

Hi Janel,

I am afraid that I don't know anything about the history of these sword fittings. I thought they were neat and different with the subject matter and coral. The detail is amazing. The inro had a fence, hut and trees chased on the front. The pouch clasp is decorated with flowers. Amazing.

Dick

I think there could be just hole drilled through whole fushi and coral was insert by force. I saw some fittings with this kind of solution.

And why this subject. Well sometimes things showed on fittings was a memorable of other great art object. Maybe this nestuke and inro was very famous piece of art and owner wanted to have in on his sword. Or maybe it was his great treasure and he didn't wear it all the time but he wanted to be able to show to people what he has. And because he carry his sword everyday everywhere that was a good opportunity.