Carved Dirk and Skinner Knives

tsterling

Here are two knives I just finished. The first is a small skinning knife with a carved antler handle in the shape of a fish, with a rawhide sheath.

post-11-1183769278.jpg

The second is a Samuel Bell inspired dirk, all metal construction with a carved centipede and copper inlay. Samuel Bell was a knifemaker in the time of the legendary Bowie knives, and this blade is similar to dirks he made, with unique Spanish notches (the funny hole and twisted shape at the base of the blade). This is my take on that style blade, with a little Japanese influence - sort of a fusion of cultures, and a lot of artistic license. The antiqued finish on this one is from Ford Hallam's noxious rusting potion, followed by boiling in strong tea - seems to have worked very well - thanks, Ford!

post-11-1183769290.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Tom,

That's a lovely pair ( as the Bishop said to the actress :) ), personally I prefer the fish skinner, to me it seems more authentic in the sense that it appears to have been created almost intuitively. The Spanish/Texan aesthetic of the early bowies etc have never really grabbed me, but that's probably because I'm not nearly manly enough :) . I think the centipede carved in relief like that does an excellent job of suggesting the grip on the handle. Perhaps there is a whole area of exploration there. Incidentally, the centipede is associated with the Japanese warrior Deity; Bishamonten so it's application on blades is quite appropriate.

I'm pleased the brew I suggested was of use to you. It does seem to have produced a very convincing antiqued look which I imagine was just what you were after.

cheers, Ford

Thanks, Ford - I never considered that the centipede would end up looking like a Japanese-style handle wrap. Wish I had thought of that deliberately - well, just goes to show you that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

I was very impressed with your foul smelling potion, this result is after only four applications and about 48 hours, and seems very permanent. It's obvious to me that this concoction will take steel patination anywhere from what you see here to an absolutely matte black, depending on the number of applications and waiting time. I'd recommend it to anyone with a similar need, with only the caveat that you had better keep this stuff in the studio and out of the living space - your significant other will look very dimly upon this stuff in the house!

Archived