New wax in progress

Heres a new bead I'm carving - Size is 6 cm. I have almost finished the figures as far as I'll go in wax - thanks to you metal bashers as Ford calls you and the excellent tutorials, I'll be able to refine my work once it's cast in bronze. The theme is Shakti and Shiva - it will have a tree of life border and the other side is half drawn and half in my head. I welcome any and all comments and critical remarks, especially as figurative relief is quite new to me. I put up 2 images, one with some paint over the wax to reduce the glare. The curvature of the bead distorts the depth of field a bit but you get a good idea of what it looks like.

Namaste,

Magnus

post-239-1183909803.jpg

post-239-1183909836.jpg

Guest ford hallam

Hi Magnus,

that already looks beautiful :) . I love the way you've captured that voluptuous, sensual and tender quality that so much of Hindu Tantric art displays. Come to think of it, your Shakti reminds me of my wife, she's a Goddess too! :D:)

I'm very keen to see the piece once cast in metal. Will this be a "one off", or will you be producing a limited series?

Excellent work, thanks for letting us watch it develop with you.

Namaste, Ford

Aloha Magnus,

Very good job of translating feeling into the wax. I'm sure it will transfer to metal well.

A couple questions.

1) Will you be using centrifugal or vacuum casting with the bronze? Would that be 90/10 Cu/Sn or maybe 92/4/4 Cu/Sn/Zn? I have had trouble holding temperature at liquidus just casting ingots.

2) I assume the bead is hollow. How do you do that?

KC

Thank you Ford, Tom And Karl for your kind words. I'm very glad the feeling I was trying to impart is coming across.

Ford, My Shakti is much like my wife as well - we are fortunate men. This will become a limited edition( 100 pieces if I live that long) - I have a notion that I can get from being a custom jeweler to being a carver through this venue of beads ( I've never seen any quite like what I'm doing and there seems to be some potential in the market - I might post my findings in the business thread as I progress ).

Tom, I am thinking that the bronze will have potential for what you are seeing in the painted wax. I've mostly worked silver gold and platinum over the years and I'm very excited by what I'm seeing in this forum in steel, bronze and various Japanese alloys I can never remember the names of :) .

Karl, I will be casting this in two pieces at first so that I can make molds to reproduce the bead. I use a centrifuge both because it seems to create a denser casting and anyway - it's more dramatic and mystical to me. I would be happy to post a tutorial of how I go about getting a hollow form from block of wax to finished casting- if any one is interested let me know.

Once I have the waxes coming from the mold, I can experiment a bit with the type of bronze. A friend who makes some beautiful perfume bottles and other objects uses the alloy our local refinery sells to make one's own gold alloys - I don't know the pecentages, but it is copper silver and zinc. It colors very nicely with some beautiful shades of greens and browns. I want to try making some of my own alloys as per some of Jim Kelso's and Ford's work. . . A lot still to learn . . . Thankfully.

Blessings,

Magnus

I would be happy to post a tutorial of how I go about getting a hollow form from block of wax to finished casting- if any one is interested let me know.

Magnus, YES! If you are willing to take the time for such a tutorial, that would be so good of you! Thank you for considering it.

Hi there,

Well looks like I'll be making up a tutorial - glad to see there is some interest - twill be soon forthcoming.

Berlin Karl - thank you for the compliment - ( I'd like to see more of your work - I saw a really cool ring that you posted early on that reminded me of Rodin, but I haven't seen anything else - I'll have to search some more) I use a comercial green carving wax made by Ferris for my originals - it seems to take the best detail without distorting. I use a mixture of green and purple carving wax in my waxpot for injecting.

KC,

Are you looking for environmentally green metals?

Blessings,

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

I have a hard time believing that you are new to the concepts of figurative relief sculpture. You have done a lovely job with the relief work on this piece, and have captured the style very nicely. Is this a style that you often work in?

I look forward to seeing more of this piece, and the others in the series.

Since you invited constructive remarks, I would offer one suggestion regarding the patination of bronze sculptures, which was passed along to me by the foundry that I deal with. If you were considering a green patina on the finished piece, I would advise caution. You might notice that you hardly ever see a small bronze sculpture in green. Green patinas, particularly lighter green, can often look odd on small pieces, and can take away from the forms, unless that is the effect that you are trying to achieve. If you want to go green and small, the darker the better.

I would hate to see the beautiful forms that you have created disappear.

If you are already experienced with this, or have a particular idea in mind, please ignore my comments.

Best regards,

Phil

A friend who makes some beautiful perfume bottles and other objects uses the alloy our local refinery sells to make one's own gold alloys - I don't know the pecentages, but it is copper silver and zinc. It colors very nicely with some beautiful shades of greens and browns.

Aloha Magnus,

Was this a reference to green gold created by the addition of alloy components, or used as a stand alone alloy? All kidding aside, in addition to developing my skills and learning new techniques, my interest perks up at the mention of ways to color metal. I would like to create a metals palette and use it to "paint" with metal inlays. Don't we all? :)

KC

p.s. - I am also wondering if this would be an as cast color or by patina?

Hi Phil,

Thank you Phil for your encouraging remarks - I've done a fair amount of very small relief sculpture on rings and such, but almost all have been floral or simply scroll type of work - I have done some figure drawing over the years. In carving it seems especially hard to capture facial elements as even the slightest variation in line changes every emotion - also it is hard for me to get the depth quite right - but I do have a good conection between my inner eye and my tools -"something that makes me feel good probably is" so to speak. I am excited by what is coming out of my work since I came to this forum a year ago. I respect your work tremendously Phil and appreciate your input. As to the coloring with patinas - this will all be a new experience - I will just have to experiment. Oh yes - by the way, I am red/green colorblind and have a hard time with some of these colors anyway - I'll have to get my wife to assist in the outcome.

Namaste,

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Your comments about working on faces are dead on, that's why I like them so much. I can spend a couple of days on the corners of a mouth, or the direction of a glance, playing with these changes in emotion. That's what I love about figurative sculpture. I think that if you get these right, everything else falls into place.

Phil

Archived