Collection 3

Janel

Somehow the bench is easy to keep clean with this project! So far:

Tray: Blond Bolivian Rosewood

Long dark leaf: Gabon ebony

Little oak leaf: Manzanita

Sprouting bean: Mammoth tusk (natural color and great patterning)

Snow pea pod: Gaspaite-reconstituted rock (RT Research)

Dried, curled leaf: Pink ivory pen blank

Each material has been interesting to carve. The final photos of the whole tray are going to make for a really challenging photo set up. Long, narrow, 1 inch or less tall by 18 inches long.

Back to the bench!

collection3_1w.jpg

collection3_2w.jpg

Thanks for a glimpse of a work in progress. Besides beautiful carving, this job will be a nice essay in the variety and beauty of various materials. The mammoth really does have some amazing patterning.

It'll be a challenging project to conform the piece to the dimensions of the tray.

Hi Janel,

I love the way you put different beautifully carved objects in a tray. This encourages people to pick them up and fondle them. They all have a different tactile quality. A joy to hold.

Dick

I agree with Dick...(visually). Not having the ability to actually touch the pieces, I can almost feel the items with my eyes. Beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ed, Dick and Mike. They do offer different tactile adventures, though every thing is fairly smooth. I've edited the above group, and will make a different set to include the little leaf and pea pod. The bean and walking stick is nearing conclusion. I need to see it in the daylight next, and see what else might be needed.

410_collection3_1w.jpg

410_collection3_2w.jpg

410tusk.jpg

410bean.jpg

410_stain.jpg

Tray: Blond Bolivian Rosewood (Length 18 ")

Long dark leaf: Gabon ebony

Chinese Lantern: Peala Burl

Sprouting Bean: Mammoth tusk (natural color and great patterning)

Rose Petal: Amber

Dried, curled leaf: Pink ivory pen blank

Hyacinth Bean Pod: Snakewood

Long bean pod & walking stick: Mammoth tusk, great natural coloring and patterning (a different tusk source than the Sprouting Bean )

Then, photos and ...

The bean and walking stick bug are a nice use of a difficult piece of mammoth ivory, Janel. I always have trouble trying to figure out what to make out of those thin areas of the tusk.

I like these "collections" you've been assembling - they look like fun, with a lot of fairly simple but diverse carvings to keep your working interest, but very elegant when taken as a whole.

Thank you Tom!

I just heard from Roland Quimby-Kowak Ivory. He shared with me where the bark ivory came from: "For your information your bark ivory came from a section of tusk collected by an Eskimo lady in the lagoon behind Shishmareff, Alaska which is a village on the Western tip of the Seward Peninsula NW of Nome." That is really cool to know!

Yes, the collections are fun. I get to use the wonderful selections of woods shared with me over the years, and I get to be moving more quickly through one or more pieces. The other, more detailed pieces, with eyes and toes, skin textures and forms, with leaves, branches and bark are very detail intense. The weeks of work that lies ahead once committed to a single piece like that are nicely balanced with the more abstract, single subject pieces from wood or other materials that don't encourage fine detail. I am about ready to find a frog or toad somewhere within a piece of wood. Oh yah, I started a test carving a little while ago on a piece of myrtle or bay laurel from Del Stubbs. Beautiful wood. It is likely a toad, but we'll see! Great wood for it, I think.

While I wait for the bean/walkingstick to settle in to the finishing treatments before photography, I have started on making the dish or tray piece for those little things, the tiny brown leaf and the pea pod. Then I'll figure out what to add to the smaller grouping of smaller things. Too much fun! Now, where did that ?toad? go?

Archived