Medium Sculpted Knives

Hi Folks,

I just received some pictures taken by one of my knife dealers of some knives I made for him a year and a half ago. As my web site is updated they will most likely be added, but I thought I would post a couple of them.

The first knife is my "Sculpted Hunter" model. I've made a few other similar pieces in bronze and briar, but I was asked to make this one a bit different. The blade is a random raindrop pattern damascus steel with my normal deep etch. The fittings are damascus. The handle is koa wood. This knife can be taken apart.

The second picture shows a boot knife. I was given some freedom to play around with this one, so I did. The blade is a ladder pattern damascus. I polished the steel finer than I usually do, then etched it very lightly. I repeated the polishing and etching until I got what I wanted, a very light pattern showing near the edge, with just a bit more toward the back. As I recall, I gave it just a touch on the buffer. I then blued and burnished it. The guard on this knife is also damascus steel. Handle is cocabolo wood.

Picture credits go to Ty Young http://www.artisanknives.com/

Thanks for looking.

David

post-322-1185139109.jpg

post-322-1185139287.jpg

There is very much to discover with these pieces. This morning, I did not see the sections in the middle (fittings? sorry that I don't know the name for the piece a the knife end of the wood handle). They are also made from damascus and make the transition between the blade and handle more active members of the compositions.

A feeling I get when viewing these is of trying to freeze the movement of a lively stream for a closer look. There are areas of less and more motion on the water's surface. The carved lines through the grain of the wood and steel move the eyes through the whole composition, faster and slower. Thank you for sharing these with us.

Janel

Thanks, folks.

Janel, I absolutely love your thoughts and descriptions! I use the term "fittings" to all the metal components behind the blade. This knife has a "guard", the fitting you refer to, and a "finial" at the rear. My finials are threaded and hold the knives together, and it this case will unscrew so the knife can be taken apart.

David

Archived