Jade Bean

Donn Salt

High All, It's been some time since contributing, have been looking more than participating. The activity on the forums is great to follow, the learning curve never ceases...... :D

Here is the latest piece.... a small personal adornmant of netsuke dimensions minus the traditional himotoshi. NZ jade featuring a blending of rind into the body of the piece. Semi concealed suspension hole setting the cord in place so as not to slide down the taper of the tendril and hang out of balance.

Cheers all............... Donn

post-97-1185236855.jpg

Lovely, it has 'bean' very nice to see your new work! In this I see the sensuous promise of the power of the seed, and the translucense of living tissue.

Thanks for adding your image to the avatar! It is great to see you.

Janel

Hello Donn,

Good to see you on this forum. Your work is always an inspiration to me. This is a very powerful piece - I'd love to hold this one. I'm curious about your finishing - do you wax your jades after polishing? I was a student for a short time in 1972 with a carver from Hong Kong - he used a hard wax from China, we would scrape flakes onto the heated carving so as to melt on a thin coating and then polish with a cloth. I don't do that these days, but I've wondered if it is accepted practice or just a quick comercial technique. Any way, thanks so much for sharing this splendid carving.

Blessings,

Magnus

Archived