Tool Sharpner

Ed Twilbeck

After checking the link and observing this tool in action, it brought to mind an article I read about a person who “invented” the “Scary Sharp” sharpening system.

Basically, both sharpening systems use sandpaper instead of dedicated stones to sharpen tools, but one is manual and the other is powered.

For those that wish to read the development of the manual sandpaper system, go to:

http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM

I have used many different methods of sharpening my tools, both manual and powered. All have advantages and limitations. This new system looks like it will do the job nicely, with little effort. I for one will be interested in hearing how well it works.

Thanks for the information and take care.

Aloha Ed,

That system looks to have potential. It reminds me of another split lap tool that sold for 2-3 times the price. It has some limits as it seems to require uniformly shaped and sized blades (no Y-axis adjustment) for the jig. My Japanese blades may be too wide and irregular. The abrasive cut, parallel to the edge, is a good thing.

There are various theories about the effect of hand pressure during the polishing stages on a fine stone. Some say that the steel is burnished, resulting in a more durable edge. Think about the prep on a hand scraper.

KC

I just finished a review on the WS 3000 in the next issue of Wood Carving Illustrated. I don't want to give the whole review away, but I really like the system. As a general woodworker as well as a carver, I had a set of "bench chisels" that I use whenever I don't want to damage my good chisels. I set the WS3000 up and proceeded to sharpen all 10 tools in 30 minutes (3 minutes a tool...). These tools had been abused...knicked, dinged, several bevels...and when i was done they would cut across the end grain of a piece of pine effortlessly.

As for my gouges...there is a open side opposite the sharpening guide where you can sharpen irregularly shaped tools. The slotted wheel spins fast enough that you can essentially see through the wheel. That allows you to match up the bevel of the tool exactly, and sharpening is effortless. I sharpened both my 20mm pfiel gouge and my dockyard mini gouges with equal ease.

I was very pleased with the tool!

Bob Duncan

Technical Editor

Woodcarving Illustrated

I got my worksharp tool. Sat. I sharpened some tools with it , and I am very happy. The tool speed is only 580 rpms. I sharpened some small carving tools flat chisels, V tools, and gouges, all were easy to do using the see through wheel. The glass wheels with the 1000 grit paper on it polished them just fine. The only thing I am not completly happy with is the leather wheel. they glued it with the rough side up. I will work it down smooth but wished they had the smooth side up. the selection of grits of papaer is great for small tools up to 3600 micro mesh for small tool and it will polish the cutting edge . light touching and they come out sharp and polished.

Ed

Personally I don't believe in those kind of machines. Maybe I'm old fashion but from my experience there are nothing better than a simple water stones and sure hand. Beside that, sharpening tools is some kind of meditation witch allowed me to rest form normal work and gives me fresh start when I returned to work. So I wouldn't change this experience for few minutes that you can gain when using this type of machines.

Archived