Anglerfish Three-Finger Knife

tsterling

Just finished this one - a small engraved/carved knife in 1080 carbon steel. I managed to harden the blade without hardening the handle, just by quenching the blade in oil and not submerging the handle part until the glow disappeared. The 1080 steel carved and engraved very nicely. Interesting note, one side of the handle (1/4 inch thick steel) was a little harder than the other - don't think it was from my heat treating, is this an artifact from hot rolling the original strip (at the factory)?

Thanks for looking!

post-11-1186165878.jpg

Aloha Tom,

You seem to have taken to "the dark side of the forge" quite easily ;) , and your work shows it. Nicely done on design and execution. A simple seeming piece that has a nice texture, elegant curve and a subject with character. Should find a home quickly.

Density differential may be compression related as you surmise, or one side cooled faster than the other out of a hot roll.

KC

Hi Tom,

Nice little knife - I especially like the way he is looking out of the sheath. I am inspired to try some steel carving when I see what you've been doing lately. Question - I have rather large hands - I find many handles too small for me - is this knife meant to be held just in the front fingers? It seems a very functional blade shape - would I choose to gut a 12 lb. steelhead with this knife? Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Magnus

Hi Tom,

Nice little knife - I especially like the way he is looking out of the sheath. I am inspired to try some steel carving when I see what you've been doing lately. Question - I have rather large hands - I find many handles too small for me - is this knife meant to be held just in the front fingers? It seems a very functional blade shape - would I choose to gut a 12 lb. steelhead with this knife? Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,

Magnus

Not speaking for Tom, but I surmise that the butt end of the handle would fit snugly into the palm of the hand, while the index finger wraps comfortably around the notch in the choil.

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words!

Magnus, Mike is correct about how to hold the knife - your index finger fits in the gap in the handle, and your middle finger fits on the major bulge, and ring finger slightly behind and down on the jaw. It's surprisingly comfortable, and very stable. Yes, it would work very well for gutting a large steelhead, and is slip proof when it is slimy - I don't think it would be a good choice for fileting same steelhead. A longer, thinner blade would work better, although in my youth I fileted many a large fish with nothing more than a pocket knife of the same size - just not very efficiently...

I really like this one, Tom. I've never been fond of most primitive styles because they were also crudely done and in many cases clunky. Yours is not clunky! It has an artistic quality about it that I like. The carving of the fish is very good, and the copper eyes are a nice finishing touch. The blade has a useful profile and grind, and I think it would be just fine with Magnus' 12lb steelhead or a 3lb rainbow! The sheath completes this one well.

David

Archived