Dragonfly plate

Dick Bonham

Hi Dick,

I have some little rotary cutters for my microgrinder that have slender, tapered ends that go down to very tiny points. I don't know what they are called, though I recall some of the tools were called stump cutters when I purchased the varied set of tiny to a little bigger per style cutter. The narrow tips might be useful. What is the material that you practiced on, and what will you be carving into when you are doing the real thing?

Janel

I like dragonflies, Dick! Is your Lindsey AirGraver a palm or foot control model? How do you like it? I attended Ray Cover's first engraving school class a year ago and spent a lot of time with the palm control model. (Ok, I hogged it!) Within a half hour or so I felt like it had become a part of me it was such an easy tool to learn. It was very instinctive.

David

Hi David,

My AirGraver is the foot model. I couldn't justify the expense of the palm control piece. I LOVE IT! At one time I was a fairly good hand engraver. I haven't done enough engraving in the past twenty years to keep in practice To be any good you have to do it all the time to keep the incredible strength needed in your hand. The Lindsay is a dream to engrave with. Very fine lines to removing metal. My next practice piece will be a lettering project. The air turbine tool that Steve recommends works wonderfully. The metal cuts like cheese. Amazing.

Dick

Lindsay's AirGravers are awesome tools! One of the good things about Cover's engraving school is that you get to try several different types and brands of engraving tools. The GRS tools were good (except for the brand new one that didn't work) but Steve's tool were exceptional.

You're certainly right about practicing your engraving.

David

Guest ford hallam

Hi Dick,

that's some delicate engraving there. From what I've seen of it the Lindsey graver is a remarkable piece of kit, I'm amazed at it's apparent responsiveness.

I'm a little worried though, that dragonfly disc of yours looks suspiciously like it could be a kagamibuta :blush:

best regards, Ford

Hi,

Thanks for the nice comments.Thank you Tom for information on the small carbide burr. Steve demonstrates how it is used on a video of a practice plate that Janel pointed out a while ago. I will make a burr and see how it goes. David, It is interesting that GRS sells the Presto high speed tool under their name with a different handle. Exact same tool but $20.00 more money. Ford, I started the piece as a kagamibuta plate since they are some of my favorite netsuke's. I may add silver eyes and do the central dragonfly in silver or gold. I like the design but I am not satisfied with the quality of my engraving or background to bother turning it into a netsuke. My next pratice project will be to try the brush stroke technique like that beautiful work you showed us a while back.

Dick

Archived