Inlay question

Dustin Clayton

Hey guys,

I was just looking through the tutorials and I have a couple of questions. I'm working on a semi-domed disc of silicon bronze. In this disk I want to inlay a copper maple leaf and silver vines. Inlaying the leaf does'nt worry me to much I've practiced the process and had some success (thanks for your owl tutorial Jim). The question I have involves inlaying wire into non-ferrous metal (specifically silicon bronze). Is the process the same, similar, or significantly different than that of inlaying wire into steel and iron?

on a different but related topic will Nunome Zogane(?) work on softer metals like bronze or will all the pushing of the foil merely distort and flatten the ground?

While you guys are at it why dont several of the masters out there just come on over to my house and give me several days of free intensive apprenticeship like instruction :lol:

Seriously, any help would be much appreciated.

Peace,

Dustin

Hey guys,

I was just looking through the tutorials and I have a couple of questions. I'm working on a semi-domed disc of silicon bronze. In this disk I want to inlay a copper maple leaf and silver vines. Inlaying the leaf does'nt worry me to much I've practiced the process and had some success (thanks for your owl tutorial Jim). The question I have involves inlaying wire into non-ferrous metal (specifically silicon bronze). Is the process the same, similar, or significantly different than that of inlaying wire into steel and iron?

on a different but related topic will Nunome Zogane(?) work on softer metals like bronze or will all the pushing of the foil merely distort and flatten the ground?

While you guys are at it why dont several of the masters out there just come on over to my house and give me several days of free intensive apprenticeship like instruction :lol:

Seriously, any help would be much appreciated.

Peace,

Dustin

The techniques for wire inlay should be good for both ferrous and nonferrous metals. If you can do it in iron it is even easier in bronze. Personally I have never tried Nunome on soft metals, but I know it has been done. On the optimistic side you might do some tests on some Silicon bronze. Certain properties could be approaching that of iron and it just might work. I would make sure my bronze was not dead soft though.

regards,

Patrick

Archived