Cornel Schneider

Janel

Cornel Schneider sent the following message and images to me this past weekend. He presents some interesting ideas to contemplate, and if you want to try to express your thoughts about them, please know that you are welcome to do so.

..."I try to focus my life to the art more and more…..and since Petra is also in kindergarden, we have really regular silent hours

Wich we both enjoy. I feel more and more that to carve seriously is so essential for me. To make things, about I am astonished That my hands made it, to feel the joy while working, while searching techniques, effects and the right express of a piece.

It is often like a play……….What a chance to do what we do……..isnt it ?

Here some photos of the sashi-netsuke. I tried to make a masterpiece, but if I watch a real lizard, I still feel very spastic

with my wodden copy. It shows me once more that the process to learn never ends. I prefer to be a lifelong pupil, that’s more exciting.

If an artist feels as a master……….it is probably very bad for his further creations……what do You think about ?

If You want publish some photos in the carving path, it would delight me. If…., could You give greetings and a big thank to all artists wich Take part in this forum, it is a very interesting place wich I visit every day. I can learn a lot and I am often astonished what wonderful creations they all make. Janel, You produce a lot of positive things with this forum ! Thank You so much !!!"

cs_lb1.jpgcs_lb3.jpg

cs_lb2.jpg

cs_lb4.jpg

cs_lb5.jpg

cs_lb6.jpg

Sashi netsuke: 19.5 x 3.5 cm. Case: 23.7 cm length.

(Posted by Janel for Cornel Schneider)

Hi Cornel

Welcome to the path, I have to ask, is that a real lizard? If not, then it has to be the most realistic carving that I have seen. Could you perhaps explain your methods of carving and what materials you used for this piece...

On a more personal note: I would like to point out, that there are many people on this forum from many parts of the world, and often English is not thier mother tongue, often we find it hard to express our feelings, or indeed find a particular word in order to do so, but the use of

I still feel very spastic
is not a choice of phrase that we should use 'in my very humble opinion' the word spastic relates to symptomatic conditions which include spastic diplegia and cerebral palsy. To understand what I am refering to, here is a quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic that will explain further why this phrase is not used...

The term can also be used in a pejorative context and all its various colloquial diminutives such as spaz carry this sense. Their level of severity depends on whether one understands them as they are used in the United States or the United Kingdom. In the UK they are not used in polite society and are considered highly abusive terms that generally denote people deemed to be mentally or behaviorally deficient. In the US they are more closely associated with hyperactivity or clumsiness and carry no offensive connotations.

I Hope that you understand my concern and not take offence at me correcting you...

Very best regards

Mike Mc

Hi Mike,

Cornel is from Switzerland, and tries his best to use English to express himself. Cornel's posts are something I do for him as a friendly favor, so he may not actually reply to you directly here, so please do not take offense if he does not post a response to your language lesson.

Janel

Hi Janel

Thank you for the reply, I did not mean to be picking on Cornel's lack of understanding with my reply, this was done to possibly assist with the language barrier that may exist.

Apollogies to you both if any upset may have been caused. :blush:

Best regards

Mike Mc

Hi Janel, hi all. Everytime i see the work of Cornel Schneider, i am amazed. It's realy fantastic : a lot of observation, a lot of patience, and a great quality of work. It will be fantastic to take a piece of this great carver.

"If an artist feels as a master……….it is probably very bad for his further creations……what do You think about ?"

Good question to ponder. When you have done your best piece yet, where do you go from there? Any ideas? Any thoughts to share?

Cornell's work is awe inspiring. Thank you for posting it Janel.

I am always very critical of my work, even when I think I have created a masterful piece. Like a kid, I want others to see my accomplishments and I want to share my discoveries. I bathe in the praises of my friends and yet I know there is more within me and so much more to learn. I recall a phase that I believe is mostly true. "One cannot declare that they are an artist and have it be so" It is a title that must be earned. I make no such claims and find my delight in the small discoveries I make and pleasures I find in creating. What I make is not so much carving as it is manipulating the metal and sculpting it. Participating in this forum is very humbling and has caused me to pause a great deal and think of the possibilities in the work I now do and that which I will do. I, for one, am glad that there seems to be no end to learning. I am glad to be a perpetual student and teacher.

Fred

Thank you Cornel, and thank you Janel!

Cornel, I first saw pictures of your work through the Netsuke Society website about 1 1/2 years ago - your work truly changed my life - I have been a professional goldsmith for 35 years and yet always yearned to carve small sculptures. I never knew exactly how or where I could get from my current works to what I felt inside - to what I wanted to express. Then one day I came across the netsuke site and linked to your own site and saw your amazing carvings and I just knew - from there I saw Janel's work and Natasha's and I realized there were people out there in the world who were creating tiny little Masterpieces. For over a year now I have been a member of this forum and have recieved such wonderful inspiration and direction. I always wished you were a part of this forum, Cornel. Now I know you may be reading this, I want to say Thank You for touching my soul!

As to this new work - wonderful - thank you for sharing! :blush:

Blessings,

Magnus

Cornel,

This is a wonderful piece of work. You have reached a new plain in realism. Very impressive!

With regards to your question "If an artist feels as a master……….it is probably very bad for his further creations……what do You think about ?", I couldn't agree more!!! I firmly believe that when an artist becomes complacent about the quality of their work, or about their ability to exprss their ideas, the work suffers ans stagnates. I have seen this with many artists, over many years. I have also noticed this with my own work. I find that my work tends to improve not gradually, but in periodic quantum leaps. These leaps are usually initiated by learning new techniques, trying out new materials, or experimenting with subject matter or size, or seeing a masterpiece in person for the first time. (Bernini's work had this effect on me) After I have experienced these leaps in ability, I tend to view previous work in a different way, and sometimes this affects how I see the work of other artists.

Thank you for sharing your work, and your thoughts, and please show us more as you are able to.

Phil

"If an artist feels as a master……….it is probably very bad for his further creations……what do You think about ?"

If an artist feels as a master, perhaps he is not a real artist. Artist is creation, and creation has no limit, so if you think you are a master, that's because you have reached your limits and you think that you can't make better. When you work, everytime you progress, you can be a very good technician, but an artist is a technician and a "dreammaker", he must created the dream, and we dream all along our life. A technician can be a master, not an artist.

Archived