Kami Tsuba

Patrick Hastings

Hi Patrick,

this is a really nice and subtle carving! Did your kakihan really means P. Hastings? :blink:

regards,

Karl

Thanks Karl,

Ford Picked that mei out for me so I would have something Japanese to chisel on my work. It translates roughly to High Spirit. The name characters are Taka and Ki. The third character is "made by" I forget the word. I need lots of practice cutting the characters in. They are pretty sloppy. I just keep practicing though. The improvement is slow, but it is getting slightly better hehe.

I have another Sig that is my English initials on there side. It almost looks like a Kanji ;)

Regards,

Patrick

"The third character is "made by" I forget the word."

Hi Patrick, the word is "saku", or in Chinese, "tzuo". Nice work, it looks like it was drawn quite effortlessly. I mean, the lines are very natural like I'd see in a well-drawn ink painting. I didn't know that shibuichi would patinate that color either, at first I thought it was a dark brass, but it didn't show as much yellow. Looking forward to more,

Congrats on the baby, I saw your pictures.

"The third character is "made by" I forget the word."

Hi Patrick, the word is "saku", or in Chinese, "tzuo". Nice work, it looks like it was drawn quite effortlessly. I mean, the lines are very natural like I'd see in a well-drawn ink painting. I didn't know that shibuichi would patinate that color either, at first I thought it was a dark brass, but it didn't show as much yellow. Looking forward to more,

Congrats on the baby, I saw your pictures.

Thanks Brian,

the Left portion of the scene holds a bit of tension for me, but i like the right side very much. It was not effortless, but it worked out decent. Thanks for the positive comment. I replied to your email. Thanks for the third character info. May I pic your brain on some related topics sometime?

Regards,

Patrick

Guest ford hallam

Hi Patrick,

very well done, your sense of overall form is developing nicely. I was going to say maturing...but you probably feel tired enough after the new arrival :blink:

As Karl mentioned, the carving itself is sensitive, you are obviously feeling more and more at one with the chisel ;) , there's no going back now.

If I might also add; the mei ( signature ) on Patricks tsuba does translate as he writes, this is also what the name "Patrick" means, hence the choice. The whole matter of signing work in his genre can be a tricky one. If you sign in kata-kana it just looks childish, or plain awkward. Signing in English can really detract from the overall feel of the piece too. A possible compromise would be to design a monogram, perhaps a bit like a "kao" or "Kakihan" that is actually based on ones name but that had a suitable look to it. Ultimately though it must be up to the induvidual. :)

Regards, Ford

• 1 month later...

Patrick wonderful tsuba. Very nice patina on shibuischi. Mine is always darker. I love this alloy, I will be doing new shibuishi plate for tsuba so this time I use more silver I'm wonder what effect I will get.

It almost looks like a Kanji

This is the problem, I think when European people write kanji without many years of studding it looks ridiculous. That's why I don't sign my fittings.

(Lethal elegance p 110?)

Archived