New Tsuba

This is Copper plate Tsuba (sword guard) with hammer raised rim. Decorated with an Iris in Shishiaibori style ( Carved below the surface of the plate). I gave it a dark silver grey patina with an antiqueing formula from RMS. It is still a work in progress, but I thought I would color it to see how it was going. The engraving was done using my GRS Graver max with 4 hand ground Gravers I made for this carving. After the rough carving I came back with a scraper and some planishing punches. Finally I finished with my Mikake-baki brush and 600mesh silicon carbide paste. A tip that Jim Kelso illustrates in his tutorial. I can't believe how nice this polishing technique works. It takes out the scratches yet still leaves the finest details intact. Thanks for helping with that one Jim I am really pleased with the results. There is a matching Fuchi and kashira, but I need the sun before I waste anymore time on photos and its raining hehe :)

post-40-1112613866_thumb.jpg

Guest DFogg

Wow, that is a beautiful set. Are they for sale?

One other question, how did you get the photos to show in the post full size and not just a thumbnail. I have yet to be able to figure that out on either forum.

Wow, that is a beautiful set. Are they for sale?

One other question, how did you get the photos to show in the post full size and not just a thumbnail. I have yet to be able to figure that out on either forum.

Thanks Don. They will be for sale soon I need abit extra to cover my taxes this year:(

For the picture I hosted the images on my own webspace and used the IMG button to link them to the post.

That's lovely work Patrick. I'm curious how you raised the rim. Can you describe that?

Thanks Jim.

First I crossrolled the Copper plate in a hand mill to get it nice and stiff. I grind the profile slightly oversize and square the edge. I beveled both sides so the edge was three equal sized facets. Then I mounted it in a vise between 3/8ths inch leather pads. I hammer the rim striaght on untill it is raised where I want it. I make minor adjustments leaning the hammer slightly one way or another.

For the Fuchi and Kashira I just dug in a square graver. I feathered it out and followed that with a fine line to accent the transition.

Archived