Abyssal Dagger

tsterling

Finished up a small steel dagger, the beginnings of which Patrick Hastings suggested looked like a squid. So, it became a squid! At least, on one side. The other has another deep sea nasty, a viperfish, hence the name Abyssal Dagger (hope you don't take it to be abysmal...). Overall length about 6 3/4 inches (17 cm), inlaid silver eyes.

Thanks for looking...

post-11-1190930620.jpg

Thanks, guys! Glad you like it.

David, yes, it mysteriously turned into a Celtic squid (this squid apparently lived off the NW coast of Scotland). :mellow: It just seemed the natural thing to do with the tentacles in this space. Fitting it all in took a lot of drawing/redrawing/et al...I know a pretty sure-fire method of constructing Celtic knotwork, but with the double-tapering of each tentacle and the confining space, this was particularly fiddly to get it all to look right.

Thanks, guys! Glad you like it.

David, yes, it mysteriously turned into a Celtic squid (this squid apparently lived off the NW coast of Scotland). :mellow: It just seemed the natural thing to do with the tentacles in this space. Fitting it all in took a lot of drawing/redrawing/et al...I know a pretty sure-fire method of constructing Celtic knotwork, but with the double-tapering of each tentacle and the confining space, this was particularly fiddly to get it all to look right.

Well you did(get it right).

Beautiful work Tom!

I think you did a superb job on both sides of this dagger. What did you sink into the antler for holding the tip?

I bet this one goes out the door very quickly. Thanks for the nice photos.Excuse my ignorance, but what does Abyssal mean?

Hey Tom, has Autumn hit you this week like it did us down here in the Columbia Gorge? ( Right on schedule ).

Magnus

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

Hi Magnus, It's been getting cool here for the last several weeks - looks like an early winter. There's an ebony peg with a divot carved into it for the tip of the dagger to rest in, and it's just glued into the soft part of the antler stand. That way the blade sits securely, and there's no wear and tear on the stand or the blade tip.

Abyss is the word used for deep sea (the really deep end of the ocean!). Both of the critters on the dagger are found in the deep, hence abyssal - as opposed to abysmal...

David, yes, it mysteriously turned into a Celtic squid (this squid apparently lived off the NW coast of Scotland). ;) It just seemed the natural thing to do with the tentacles in this space. Fitting it all in took a lot of drawing/redrawing/et al...I know a pretty sure-fire method of constructing Celtic knotwork, but with the double-tapering of each tentacle and the confining space, this was particularly fiddly to get it all to look right.

Well, I think it was a great idea. You could have just had the tentacles flowing along, but knotting them in Celtic fashion added character.

David

Archived