Is anyone else having a busy spring?

Janel

Guest DFogg

It is comforting to know that I am not alone. After a long winter of work and travel, I am coming into Spring unfocused. I know the space, it is a transition and I have to be patient and have faith that things will jell and that soon I will be intensely involved in the next project, but for now my mind is skipping around from project to project. I feel like a superball in a small room careening from wall to ceiling to floor to wall.

My routine is to go to work and get involved in a project, usually shop maintenance that has been deferred. Add in some simple work related chores, breaking down stock, making billets of Damascus, forging small blades, and usually the familiarity of the tasks orient my head. Muscle memory takes over and quiets the mind. The faith part comes while you are riding it out.

All of this serves as a way of recognizing the blessing we receive when we are finally able to focus. That quiet state of intensity that is so rare, it justifies the sacrifices we have to make to get there.

• 3 weeks later...

:D Boy, am I ever!

I've been so busy travelling I've worked only about five days at the bench in the last 5 weeks.

Finally I'm getting back to a leaf carving that's about 80% done. I want to do a photo series on it when it's finished. Should have lots of time now.

Hey!!! Welcome back Jim! I've missed you.

I am singing the same song, it is pre-pottery studio tour here. I've just completed baking 4,000+ :D cookies, bars and nut bread servings. Phew. Cleaning and rearranging next and then it is show time! There are also middle school band concerts and family gatherings...life is full!

Anyone who is curious about the tour go to: http://www.minnesotapotters.com (I am also the web master of that site, as well as a former potter/participant and wife of a potter. ;) )

For a sit down break and brain exercise, I am working a page or pages for The Carving Path Book Store. If you have any recommendations please go to the Doing Business: Book Store List forum topic and add the title, author, and thoughtful comment about the books you wish to add the list. The titles will be linked to Amazon.com for easy access to purchasing the books. I will research some out-of-print book sellers to see what else might be arranged for linking and access, in ;) hahaha my spare time!

I hope that all is well with you,

Janel

• 11 months later...

Hey, this looks like it was started recently! We must have been quiet at this time last year also. My song and dance of late April last year is about to shift into the pre-studio tour mode soon. The big change is that I've got someone to share the baking of the cookies job this year. I do hope it works out well, since I've got lots of things that I would be rather be doing, like CARVING!

What are you all doing this spring? Is anybody carving, or are you all outdoors celebrating the return of the birds and growing things? Is anyone building onto their houses or studios? (sculpture on a grand scale??? :rolleyes:

I miss the banter. It rather echoes around here right now on TCP. While you are turning the earth for the garden, or raking the yard, or washing the windows, think about something that would challenge the members into examining their involvement with carving in the small scale, and encourages them to offer thoughtful remarks here on the forum. A cup of tea or coffee and a few minutes of TCP makes for a good break!

Cheers,

Janel

Spring has been here on the coast most of the winter. I have been getting ready for a small art and craft show/fair, in Biloxi Sat. With the workers and all of the spring breakers down here helpingto rebuild, we should have a good show. Daughterinlaw and I are sharing space. She has some jewlery and I will have some carvings and some boxes left over from before the storm.

Firewood- I've enjoyed hearing your reports of life in Mississippi after the hurricanes last autumn and how you're building up your life and hobbies once again. Good luck with the show- let's hope the volunteers want to take back a few souveniers of their time... :rolleyes:

Just a short bit about the Miss. coast. Ther are many church groups and college spring breakers down here from all over, They are helping so many that have lost their houses, personal items, some lost everything to make a home. If you did not have flood insurance on your home, even if you were not in the flood zone, and flooded as I did, The insurance companies did not cover your damage. Fema is giving most of them $5000.00, that is all they have to replace their home. personal note, For my home, 3 bed 2 bath garage, and a complete 20 X 20 wood working studio. The insurance gave me after 25 years $1,270.00. I had about $25,000 to $30,000 damage and lost. Their are about 45,000 to 50,00 FEMA trailers that pepole on the coast are living in now, that have lost their home. The church groups and college students are doing such a wonderful thing to come down here with their own supplies and money and helping so many rebuild.

• 1 month later...

It is still spring here, and what a beautiful week this is! Sun, rain, flowers, deer eating tulips and black bear eating suet feeders and devouring bird feeders. My deer fence had about eight holes from the curious black bear, having snagged it here and there with a claw. That mended, now lets see what else happens! We've got a helper coming for the weekend who wants to sleep out, but with our studio yard on the bear's hit list, I am not so sure that I would rest easliy given the recent visitor.

Carving? What's that? I am a little lost and often grumpy with all of the pre show tasks. Our guest artists are on the road heading this way from Virginia and W. Virginia. There is much that needs to be done before they arrive.

What are you all up to? It is very quiet here on the forum, do you need me to be stirring the pot? Doesn't anyone have a question that needs answering?

I thought I would take some down-time after the Smithsonian, but I want to finish the owl piece first. It's going painfully slowly with a lot of decision making about little details, and tedious polishing. Life seems more complicated than in the past with other things I need not go into.

I'll try to get some photos up of the owl later.

Janel, are we going to see photos of your carved grouping soon? Is it finished?

I may not get the photos taken until after the tour. The studio is in rearrange and cleaning up mode, stuck in limbo as other tasks are completed during the countdown. The photo area was tucked into a corner to exist in it's own space rather than a transitional part of the Abstracta display case. I will have a little more floor space that way, so that I can lie down on the floor to do some yoga without aiming my arms and legs between the desk, plants, cricket rearing tanks and the snake stand, and carving bench. It is amazing how any empty space can get filled up over time!

Next week I hope to get the photos taken and launch into preparation for the show at the end of August. One of the drawbacks from the past several weeks, is that I have not been able to daydream, wander in the woods, or imagine any new pieces. That needs changing very soon!

Who else has a project in the works that could be shared in New Work Show & Tell? Are we all so much alike that no one is carving now?

I've got questions about things, but must reserve them until next week. The day has begun in our household.

Ever hopeful :)

Archived