Pitch

Shaun

Guest ford hallam

Hi Shaun,

If you're intending to try the Japanese approach to inlay and carving, ( I seem to remember you mentioning that interest in your introduction ) you may find that you'll be better off making up your own mixture. You'll find all the details in this topic dedicated to pitch that Jim Kelso started. The ingredients should'nt be too hard to come by.

cheers, Ford

Hi Ford,

Ok I'll see if I can get the pine resin as the other ingredience wont be a problem. I was quoted $88AUD for a 1kg tin of pitch, would that be a fair price just in case the resin becomes a problem.

Cheers

Shaun

PS Is the pine resin talked about in the posts collected from normal pine trees. The reason I ask is that a relative of mine operates a pine plantation for the lumber mills, so would I be able to collect it direct from the trees or is that not how it works. Sorry if this sounds dumb but its all new to me ;)

Guest ford hallam

G'day Shaun,

yes, pine rosin ( not resin ) is harvested from pine trees. It's a byproduct in the extraction of terpentine. It is also used in the making of polishing waxes. I used to get it from a sculptors materials supply shop ( Tiranti ) in the UK. It's added to beeswax to make a firmer modelling wax .

I just found this outfit in Hallam ( what a coincidence, my lot do get about ;) ), Victoria. I'm sure if you gave them a call they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

Ford I had Amber Rosin sent to me by my gf no problem, and I'm sure that if I had ordered it straight off Tiranti they would have delivered it anyway. I think the package overall came to about 9 quid for 1.5 kilos of Amber Rosin all the way to Venezuela, plus the cost per bag at Tiranti's.

Hope that helps.

Archived