Swordmaking

Fred E. Zweig

Please forgive if I am exceeding the intent of the forum. Nova has documented the making and science of the Japanese sword blade "Secrets of the Samurai Sword" and it will be airing tonight here in the U.S. It is sure to be a not to miss event. Fortunately Nova will eventually make this available on DVD. Janel we can delete this after the weekend so as not to take up space.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/samurai/history.html

Respectfully,

Fred

Thank you Fred for making this announcement! It is too bad that the part of the membership living without access to the US public television will miss it's airing. The DVD would be a good thing to follow up with when it becomes available, so others will be able to see it eventually.

NOVA programs on Public Television are a great addition to our TV educational offerings. There is no need to delete this thread. It would be good to have questions and commentary here from those who will be able to watch it tonight. I am away from home presently, so will need to depend on the DVD or repeat broadcasting to catch it. :unsure:

Janel

I was able to watch the video tape of the PBS Swordmaking NOVA show. The smelting furnace and its ending is quite dramatic. I cannot help imagining, having been a potter, the incredible rush of energy the fellows must feel while breaking down the walls and exposing the heat while exposing the raw steel mass. Potters spend their lives hoping to never see the insides of their kilns via the tumbling wall at maximum temperatures! I appreciate learning about the various bits of knowledge you metal bashers have spoken about on the forum, and seeing these things in context to the sword's origins and characteristics.

Tonight, I am able to use a computer with high speed internet, so looked up "katana" on Youtube. Did anyone see these:

making of katana

There seem to be a lot of katana making videos on Youtube.

Oh! The PBS Swordmaking show might be all on Youtube! These are long segments, which make up a nearly hour long program.

The traditional Making of a Samurai Sword (Katana) documentary summary

I apologize if these have been posted before. I've got a snail paced modem while at home, and have enjoyed my visit to the Youtube site while exploring the keyword "katana".

Janel

Archived