Hi There,

Donn Salt

Hi Guys,

Great site and with a couple of familiar names.

Carving started for me as a means toward freedom from the drudge of a 9 to 5 job.

Initial experiments with jade in 1967-68 followed by trial and error, self-taught training. This time allowed sufficient skills to develope enough to support myself and so was able step out into the world as a full time carver sculptor by 1970.

There has been no looking back since. The pursuing decades have been full of learning, resulting in a far greater freedom than anticipated.

Knowledge and skills evolved with research and experience, expanding the barriers of percieved limitations.

Netsuke have been a format I've worked with since the early eighties and have exhibited often. More examples of work can be seen on a preliminary website I've started constructing recently. www.donnsalt.com

I read with interest the posts regarding ivory nuts. A material I discovered about '82 and played with for a while but the fascination with stone won out. However they do carry various names, one of which is corozo as mentioned.

There is a reasonable amount of information at (tagua2go.com/tagua_history.htm)

A little commercial perhaps but the range of basic information is worth looking at.

post-97-1113036220.jpg

post-97-1113038296.jpg

Guest DFogg

Wow, that is really interesting work. Welcome Donn.

Never having carved stone, I am curious about the tools you use. I would love to see your workshop and surroundings. New Zealand seems such a magical place.

I will put your book on my wish list.

Don

Thanks Don,

I've not travelled so have little experience of other countries. However N.Z. is a beautiful land and the desire to travel has never been great.

Will post pics of the jade work environment and tools in a few days. At the moment I'm working on a large andesite head of the genre in the pics attached and the jade bench is bereft of tools as they have been commandeered for this outside project.

Spent quite some time perusing your site and came away very impressed.

Your eloquence expounding your philosophies is admirable and extent of knowledge formidable.

Although no where up to your standards I've attached a pic of a personal boot knife I made for myself about '84. Steel is from a planer blade, handle is elephant ivory, hilt is sterling silver, sheath is sterling, red fiber covered with leather.

Thanks Don,

I've not travelled so have little experience of other countries. However N.Z. is a beautiful land and the desire to travel has never been great.

Will post pics of the jade work environment and tools in a few days. At the moment I'm working on a large andesite head of the genre in the pics attached and the jade bench is bereft of tools as they have been commandeered for this outside project.

Spent quite some time perusing your site and came away very impressed.

Your eloquence expounding your philosophies is admirable and extent of knowledge formidable.

Although no where up to your standards I've attached a pic of a personal boot knife I made for myself about '84. Steel is from a planer blade, handle is elephant ivory, hilt is sterling silver, sheath is sterling, red fiber covered with leather.

Cheers,

Donn

Hello Donn!

I am happy to see your work posted here! Thanks for sharing.

The glint in the eyes of graywacke beach pebble carving from the black jade is nice contrast between the two materials.

I've had a look at your web site. It is interesting to see the variety of materials that you work with. I have a question about the book you have offered there. Is the price in US Dollars? The book is a great idea!

Thanks for contributing, and I hope there will be more...

Janel

Hi Donn,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your work. I love your stone sculptures -- you have a knack for creating pleasing and interesting shapes, and the materials you use just make them that much more interesting.

I too am interested to hear what kind of tools you use, and if you had any suggestions for someone who might be interested in tinkering with stone carving on a small scale.

Kelly

Hi Donn,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your work.  I love your stone sculptures -- you have a knack for creating pleasing and interesting shapes, and the materials you use just make them that much more interesting.

I too am interested to hear what kind of tools you use, and if you had any suggestions for someone who might be interested in tinkering with stone carving on a small scale.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the wonderful comments.

As mentioned I shall post some pics in the near future.

I am not familiar with the geography around Salt Lake City but any smooth, flaw free pebble has potential. Streams, rivers, beaches, old glacier beds, anywhere a stone may survive the turmoils of time and be worn down to its' purest center.

The Lapidary magazine will lead you to any number of firms to obtain diamond tools from. This is presuming you are contemplating hard stone. Mohs 5 1/2 plus.

Numerous sizes and shapes to fit a 3/32 collet. And water as coolant come lubricant.

And play!!!

Donn

Hi Donn,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your work.  I love your stone sculptures -- you have a knack for creating pleasing and interesting shapes, and the materials you use just make them that much more interesting.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the wonderful comments.

As mentioned I shall post some pics in the near future.

I am not familiar with the geography around Salt Lake City but any smooth, flaw free pebble has potential. Streams, rivers, beaches, old glacier beds, anywhere a stone may survive the turmoils of time and be worn down to its' purest center.

The Lapidary magazine will lead you to any number of firms to obtain diamond tools from. This is presuming you are contemplating hard stone. Mohs 5 1/2 plus.

Numerous sizes and shapes to fit a 3/32 collet. And water as coolant come lubricant.

And play!!!

Donn

• 5 months later...

Hi Donn, I now recognise your fantastic work and fell happy to know there are a number of carvers from Aoteoroa on this site. It was bound to happen I guess knowing the talent that resides here. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm based out at Bethells beach, West Auckland surrounded by lots of natural beauty which is great for hatching ideas.

Cheers Donn, great book I've had in my hands often and its also on my wish list.

Peace, Brett

Hiya Brett,

Welcome and thanks for the encouraging comments.

I know Bethells well having lived in Auckland for close to 15 years. Still come down to the city on occasional visits. Avoid it as much as possible these days but not always able to do so.

Have enjoyed looking at your own work via this forum and your posts.

Great to see new blood evolving. Keep the pics flowing, we all like to see what's happening in the quiet corners of the globe.

Cheers Donn

• 2 years later...

Hi Donn,

I have been searching for an expert carver for some time now who would be willing to carve for me an exquisitely detailed ivory skull. I saw the other picture of the skull you had and it is stunning. I have been spending time at the Metropolitan Museum of Art here in New York City and there was this one ivory skull which took my breath away. If you would like to see it you could go to Google "Images" and type in "17h century ivory skull" and an image will pop up. I love how the veins of the ivory run from the front of the forhead towards the back of the skull. It gives the skull an anxious, strenuous character. Like it is still alive and breathing. Can you make one for me 3" tall? Thanks.

David Hunter

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Donn,

I have been searching for an expert carver for some time now who would be willing to carve for me an exquisitely detailed ivory skull. I saw the other picture of the skull you had and it is stunning. I have been spending time at the Metropolitan Museum of Art here in New York City and there was this one ivory skull which took my breath away. If you would like to see it you could go to Google "Images" and type in "17h century ivory skull" and an image will pop up. I love how the veins of the ivory run from the front of the forhead towards the back of the skull. It gives the skull an anxious, strenuous character. Like it is still alive and breathing. Can you make one for me 3" tall? Thanks.

David Hunter

Hi David,

Thanks for your query. My regrets this response is so belated in coming. I had the wonderful and unexpected opportunity of attending and exhibiting at the annual Tucson Gem and Mineral Show which was the realisation of a dream I've held for many years. It was a fantastic experience which will see me there next year as well. The downside being settling back into the real world of a reclusive carver - sculptor down under.

Your request for a small, carved skull is an intriguing project which would be better discussed through direct email. If you care to contact me via email I am confident we will be able to achieve a suitable communique.

Donn

Welcome back Donn! Let us know ahead of time when the Tucson dates are set, when you will be there. I'd like to plan a visit to family, and to drive down to meet you and to experience the grand gem and mineral show. It is a city wide event, isn't it? How long were you there? Did you bring work to sell, or did you purchase materials for sculpting, or were you a tourist?

Good to see you back here!

Janel

Archived