Pipefish

tsterling

Just finished this little fellow up - I carved a lot of him (her?) over the last weekend in September as a demo during our island-wide studio tour. I'm constantly amazed at what a small carbide bur can do to steel! The enlargment has been "photoshop light levels enhanced" to better show the detail. Overall, it's pretty black.

I used a pipefish (close relative of seahorses) as a general model, but have taken a fair number of liberties (OK, OK, a very large number of liberties)!

Comments welcome - I'll put my helmet and flak jacket on... ;)

post-11-1192311528.jpgpost-11-1192311801.jpg

The only reason you might need a flak jacket is to protect yourself from all of the compliments on that beautiful little knife. You do such cool work, Tom. Great imagination. You might not realize it, but I have found you to be a real inspiration since I came to this forum. (Okay, wipe the slobber off your shoes....sorry for drooling.)

Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys! I put away the helmet and flak jacket (slightly damp, Mike! ;) ) - this metal thing has many similarities with just plain old carving, but some significant differences, too. It's an exciting ride, with lots of ups and downs, and a few sideways...I appreciate the positive feedback.

That is simply excellent. Something I could EASILY see myself owning. And if I may be crass and commercial, what would you sell something like that for---assuming it is for sale?

Hans

Hi Hans,

It was a total of about 4 days work (not including conceptual activities), so I'm thinking about $900 USDollars, plus commission. I'll consult with the gallery that will handle it first, of course. They've been a good source of pricing help for the knife market - unfortunately, for this kind of work, there isn't anything really similar for comparison.

Archived