Book Store List

Guest DFogg

Guest DFogg

We are thinking about setting up a bookstore on the site to help defer the cost. What would be great is if you would suggest authors and titles of your favorite, must have books.

They don't have to do with carving specifically, but may also include books that you find helpful, inspirational, informative and that you would have to replace if it were destroyed.

We can open it up to include music too. This can be fun and helpful. Thanks,

Don

Two books which I often refer people to are:

Living Masters of Netsuke, Kinsey

The Art of Netsuke Carving as told to Raymond Bushell by the netsukeshi Masatoshi

ISBN 0-8348-0265-1

Dick (ERB) added this under the Reference Books topic:

"Masterpieces of Netsuke Art: One thousand favorites of leading collectors" compiled by Bernard Hurting. 1973

Another book by Raymond Bushell is "Collectors' Netsuke" 1971.

Donn Salt has done a book: Stone, Bone & Jade - 26 New Zealand Artists which looks very interesting.

I'll be giving a look at my studio library and gathering more titles.

Thanks for getting this started!

Janel

Guest DFogg

An interesting read about the process is:

Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland ISBN 0-88496-379-9

Another

Unknown Craftsman by Soetsu Yanagi ISBN 0-87011-948-6

For a book that's not quite 'inspirational' but does do a good job at expounding the 'go with the flow' attitude to life, try

"The Importance of Living" by Lin Yutang ISBN 0688163521

It was written in the 1920's, but still in print I believe. Full of great essays on the joys of life.

-I'll go home and check my bookshelf tonight for others I find helpful

The Poetry Of Netsuke: Robert O. Kinsey

Contemporary Netsuke: The H.I,H, Prince Takamado Collection (mostly contemporary netuske)

Bone Carving: Stephen Myhre- A skill base of techniques and concepts

Iwami Netsuke: R. S. Huthart Collection (a catalog of the Huthart Collection)

Netsuke: The Japanese "Art of Miniature Carving (A catalog from a traveling exhibiton of netsuke, one museum was the Minneapolis Institute of Art. I had one piece included in this exhibition of mostly antique netsuke. The whole body of work was selected from the collections of members from the International Netsuke Society.)

International Netsuke Society Journal: The International Netsuke Society (formerly known as the Netsuke Kenkyukai Society) is devoted to the study and collection of netsuke and related sagemono art forms. Membership in the society, founded in 1975, includes a subscription to its quarterly, 60-page, color, illustrated magazine, the International Netsuke Society Journal. Among the other Society activities are a biennial convention held in the United States and local chapter meetings in the United States, Japan and Europe. There are over 625 society members living in 31 different countries.

Membership dues are $125 per annum for anywhere in the world. Dues include a subscription to the International Netsuke Society Journal, sent first class mail in the United States and air mail elsewhere. Payment is accepted via check drawn on a United States bank or VISA, MasterCard, or American Express charge card. Membership payment should be sent to:

International Netsuke Society

PO Box 833272

Richardson, Texas 75083-3272 USA

Phone: 972-596-8250

Fax: 972-866-9946

http://www.netsuke.org

This is a handsome and educational journal, articles comprised of mostly antique netsuke topics with some contemporary, auction reports, and other interesting things for netsuke people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DFogg

10434981_c7f6db64ef_o.jpg

"This book is the result of my ten years of research in metalsmithing. I am proud that Japanese metalwork is appreciated around the world, but concerned that little has been written about the techniques. As the pace of modern life quickens, there is a natural risk that some of our history and traditional methods may be lost. It is my hope that this book will play some small part in stemming that sad possibility, and perhaps insprie future generations of metalsmiths and sculptors to keep the traditions alive.

As a contemporary artist, it is important for me to acknowledge the traditions and techinques of the past and to simultaneously endeavor to move forward into an unknown future. In addition to the specific technical knowledge of the metalsmiths who came before, I am aware of a universal search for beauty that binds us to each other. As our ancestors searched to give form to their visions of what was beautiful, they created what we know today as the tools and skills of our craft.

The Japanese term onko-chishin describes the dual need to honor the past and grow into the future. As artists we have an obligation to respect our predecessors and to give something new to those who come after us. In addition to learning the techniques they have passed on to us, we must also take up the ongoing search for beauty. Our definitions will be different, but the search is the same. As we work in our studios, the very work we do leads us along this path. As we cut, grind, and polish in search of our forms, we become philosophers, searching for beauty." from Japanese Patinas by Eitoku Sugimori

This is a beautiful book filled with useful information and wonderful perspective. I highly recommend this book. As a side, Jim Kelso's work is featured as examples throughout the book. It is really well bound, nicely done and reasonalby priced.

Archived