New members

The Carving Path has had many new members join in the past months, but they seem to be quietly lurking. They have described briefly what they do during the registration process and are interesting folks! I am eager for them to join in here with questions and contributions!

Janel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Im 22 and live in England. I am studying at university in Reading.

I am mostly interested in japanese arms ans armour.

I am currently making a suit of edo period armour and restoring a tachi!

I know the techniques I have used so far but not a huge amount else, however I have done a lot of research over the past few years to know a fair bit of theoretical stuff.

I have a website that u basically use as an image host

www.freewebs.com/yoroi

Hope I can help the comunity!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Janel.

It's been pretty quiet here lately. I know everyone is busy, especially at this time of year. But there are so many talented newbies that we'd love to hear from, as well as the "regular" gang. We get into some thought provoking discussion threads here, that are always good to get the brain going and the fingers tapping. Please, let's hear from YOU!!

Hello,

I don't quite know how to work a blog or conversation on the computer. I will give it a try, please correct me if I did something wrong.

At 2 years old i told my mother i wanted to be an artist; she wanted me to be sensible; i did while i created art. 42 years ago I started carving wood (accually i whittled) my carving became more and more intricate. Now i seek purfection!

i have no web site, and no gallery handles my work!

i know computers only on the tecnical side and a couple of cad programs. i have been trying to figure out how to meet your parameters to post photos. i do have digital cameras. i will work with it and try to get some photos for you.

Janel seemed to be interested in a numatic tool i have that runs up to 450,000rpm - it is called a turbo carver. you can get it with the option to have water spray cooled work as part of the tool. it is feather light and has the option of 8 different bits that are diamond imbeded bits.

there is also some concern carving around corners and inside delicate areas. i have made some tools just for this, but you might start with dental tools, especially a tool called an explorer. if you lay an explorer flat on an anvil give it a good wack with a hammer then use a course stone to sharpen how you wish for around the corner carving.

there is a catalogue that has many tools that might remedy many problems carvers seem to be having.

Wood Carvers Supply, Inc www.woodcarverssupply.com

i don't know how to give you a link but i'm sure this information will get you there.

someone was also courious about some wood they found when they were cleaning out some brambles in their yard, the sliced piece they showed looks identical to alot of apple i have had and some i still have

well i hope i have entered this correctly and i only hope i may be a positive addition to The Carvers Path.

as i have looked through the entries the members entries have already been a positive effect on my life - thank you

Very Kindest Regards,

Debbie

• 1 month later...

The Carving Path continues to attract new members, and I would like them to introduce themselves if they are willing to. Some of your descriptions sound like your work and your interests are very interesting. We would like to meet you.

Kindest regards,

Janel

Hi, Janel my name is Lonnie Jones I am a caricature carver and have been carving since 2002. I really love caricature carving it really allows me to express myself. :blink: I have recently been facinated with netsuke and really want to give it a whirl. I also have been working in clay and it has been a blast!!!! :blink:

Lonnie Jones

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Janel and Group,

I am one of the newbies and I did an introduction a couple of weeks ago but have been busy with a new job and haven't been on much. My name is Linda and I am from Denison, Texas. It's 70 miles north of Dallas just before you get into Oklahoma.

My interests are in hobo nickels and carved coins. I don't carve but I do collect these. I would be interested in hearing if anyone in the group have the same interest or if they would like to know more about this art form.

Thanks,

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my name is Renato Martinetti, I'm 47 and I live in Asti, Italy. Strangely, even if I live in the country probably fullest of fine ad applied arts in the world, I like Japanese handicrafts. I'm a meber of the Italian association of Japanese sword (INTK).

post-1727-1204963695.jpg

I with the most famous living japanese swordsmith, Yoshindo

I started to use urushi lacquer some years ago, and after many tests and severe skin rushes now I'm making the first visible things:

post-1727-1204964473.jpg

a big wooden katanakake (sword stand) I carved and lacquered (I'm finishing it);

post-1727-1204964618.jpg

an aikuchi mounting with red laquered and hira-makie scabbard, ray skin hilt and metal fittings (I made one of the gold menuki too);

post-1727-1204964790.jpg

an ancient fubako (letters box) heavily damaged, I restored with black roiro-nuri urushi

I'm interested in urushi lacquering (I tried te synthetic one - kashew - but is a different thing), japanese wood carving and metalwork, specially for swords and armours.

Apart from carving, I also like less spiritual things like foods and wines and if You need some information (I live in the middle of Piedmont, great red wines and truffles) ask me. I apologize for my bad english language.

Renato

Hello everyone. My name is Mackensie. I own Restoration Station here in Santa Rosa, CA. I have been doing many types of woodworking since I was 20 and stationed on the East coast in the Navy. (So that's 17 years, but whos counting!) I run a fine furniture restoration, refinishing and repair shoppe here in Wine country. The thing thats unique about us is that we have a program for enviromentally friendly refinishing for furniture. I do some hand carving and am learning more, I would like to do lots more of it. So, I am a bit of a beginner. My experience has been limited to refabricating parts for furniture moulding pieces, etc. Well, thats a bit about me, a novel, I welcome any questions or comments.

Have a prosperous and abundant day! :rolleyes:

Hello everyone. My name is Mackensie. I own Restoration Station here in Santa Rosa, CA. I have been doing many types of woodworking since I was 20 and stationed on the East coast in the Navy. (So that's 17 years, but whos counting!) I run a fine furniture restoration, refinishing and repair shoppe here in Wine country. The thing thats unique about us is that we have a program for enviromentally friendly refinishing for furniture. I do some hand carving and am learning more, I would like to do lots more of it. So, I am a bit of a beginner. My experience has been limited to refabricating parts for furniture moulding pieces, etc. Well, thats a bit about me, a novel, I welcome any questions or comments.

Have a prosperous and abundant day! :rolleyes:

Hello Mackensie

I just finished re-upholstering my grandparents dining chairs, and i must say i enjoyed it very much.

welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the forum.

cheers

S

Hello. My name is Geoffrey Gonzales and I am a carver. "Hi Geoffrey!"

I've been involved in drawing, painting, and ceramics all my life. When my friend told me five years ago that his brother was making bone pendants I knew that this was something I had to try. I bought some bone from the butcher and hacked at it like a madman with a cut wheel. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Happening upon a site like this back then would have been great but the experience of trial and error has given me a real feel for the material. I love to carve but even more I love to place a pendant on the neck of a friend or new friend with a hug. It's just something that cannot be obtained with a painting. I look forward to meeting and sharing the carving experience with all of you. Here are a few examples of my work (and some works in progress). I will also post some pictures of my workspace in the work bench thread. Take it easy~

pendants1jl2.jpg

pendants2kf6.jpg

pendants3ry3.jpg

pendants4kt9.jpg

inhandzf4.jpg