New members

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hello-My name is Wayne Spence from Denver. I am a retired geologist with over 30 years of furniture making, also including guitars . My interests have shifted to sculpture and carving, both wood and stone, smalll to medium size pieces. I have gleaned a lot of information from the forum and hope to contribute in the near future. At present I have nothing to show but that should change by summer.

Hi All,

I know i did this a little bit backwards. Ive already posted a couple of times before introducing myself. Sorry.

My Name is Joshua Wood, I live in New Jersey and work as a graphic designer in New York City. I carve as a way to decompress. I don't really work in any particular field or style, I just go with whatever idea strikes me hardest.

I've dabbled with netsuke, larger scale sculpture, stone, hardwoods, etc... I would love to start working with bone and metals in the future.

I was blown away by the collective talent and knowledge of the artists that post here. It's an incredible resource and I'm very glad to be a part of it.

You can see an example of a work in progress in the materials forum here:

http://www.thecarvingpath.net/forum/index....ost&p=12283

Thanks

Josh

Welcome to the Carving Path, Joshua. I'm sure you'll find an interesting home here, and graphic designer experience seems like an excellent (and useful!) addition to our membership. We look forward to more exhibitions of your work - the war club looks pretty nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ron and I'm a wannabe carver, been at it for about six years. I'm disabled so it takes me a long time to get things done. Most of my carving are on sticks and canes, cane toppers, etc. A friend of mine just took these pictures of a couple of my mini-carvings and suggested I post them here so here they are. The penguin is my first miniature, turtle second, and the cat my third. The penguin and cat aren't quite done yet. I don't know how the sand the tiny nooks. I'm going to try to scrape them.

Since my disability is progressive, I'm getting slower. My hands are like clubs but I can still wrap my fingers around my tools so I'm very happy.

I was looking at netsukes a while back and found Janel's website and was inspired by her work. (Thank you Janel.)

Just keep doing the best you can everyday.

Ron

http://www.stixncanes.com

post-2-1209272464.jpg post-2-1209272498.jpg

Edited by Janel
Cropped and resized photos

Hello Ron,

Welcome to The Carving Path!

Thank you for posting the photo. I took care of the resize this time. It is a good for all members to try to resize photos before uploading them to the forum, since some of us have very slow, land-line modems.

What woods are you carving? I admire you for pursuing your desire to carve. Your philosophy "Just keep doing the best you can everyday." is a good reminder to us all.

Janel

Hello Ron,

Welcome to The Carving Path!

Thank you for posting the photo. I took care of the resize this time. It is a good for all members to try to resize photos before uploading them to the forum, since some of us have very slow, land-line modems.

What woods are you carving? I admire you for pursuing your desire to carve. Your philosophy "Just keep doing the best you can everyday." is a good reminder to us all.

Janel

Thank you for resizing my photos, Janel.

I like to carve hardwoods, boxwood is my favorite, also apricot, persimmon, pecan, butternut, etc. I carve a lot of sticks that are very hard. I got them in the Louisianna bayous and woods when I was travelling through. I forgot to mention, I live in the heart of Los Angeles, just north of Dodger Stadium.

Welcome Ron, I enjoyed your site. The very first thing that I ever "carved" at age 17 was a walking stick. Not much to it but I was proud of it and eccentriccaly (sp?) walked around with it everywhere including school. Eventually it broke, but I still remember it to this day. Thanks for the reminder.

Welcome Ron, I enjoyed your site. The very first thing that I ever "carved" at age 17 was a walking stick. Not much to it but I was proud of it and eccentriccaly (sp?) walked around with it everywhere including school. Eventually it broke, but I still remember it to this day. Thanks for the reminder.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for visiting my site. I'm glad it brought back fond memories for you. It's amazing how simple things like a personally carved stick can bring back those feelings of pride and happiness.

Just keep doing the best you can everyday.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
The Carving Path has had many new members join in the past months, but they seem to be quietly lurking. They have described briefly what they do during the registration process and are interesting folks! I am eager for them to join in here with questions and contributions!

Janel

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I have just joined your incredibly useful and user-friendly forum and I would like to greet all the members. I hope I'll have some experience worth of sharing with you, although I am very far from the level of expertise most of the members have.

I have been studying jewelry, enamelling and sculpture for almost 10 years, on and off, as my day job has very little to do with art/craft. I have recently learned how to cut cabochons and I would like to learn gemstone carving. You'll probably see me asking questions here as I look for resources/classes/tools or just a friendly hand to guide me. Thank you for gathering all these resources and making them available to beginners like me!

Hello new_mom,

Welcome to The Carving Path forum! I hope that some of the stone carvers will pitch in when you ask your questions.

This forum is great because we have members from every level of experience. We all contribute and learn together. I hope you enjoy your participation here.

Janel

Hello new_mom,

Welcome! The great thing about TCP is there's so much information and so many gifted artists willing to share their knowledge and help anyone willing to learn. I also notice that no one has reached the point where they are no longer interested in learning something new.

Good luck with the gemstone carving.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my name is Scott and I live in the Dayton, Ohio area. I first got interested in carving stone while sitting outside on break at work looking at all of the cut stones around the break area. I did a lot of searches and didn't find very much information on the subject but, then came across Tiki Central which got me interested in carving bone. I purchased a Dremel flex shaft tool and started practice using beef bones sold in pet supplies for dogs. Of course I started practice following other peoples designs, which I don't like to do but it was a start. Following some of the other carving instructions in which uses power carving throughout the carving process, I found it to be very difficult for a beginner and I used the power carving to rough out the project and files and gouges to do most of the other detail work. I thought I was on the wrong track until I found this forum through another member of the Tiki Central forum and looked through some of tutorial post, I feel much better now.

I don't like copying other peoples works and I found through this forum how to find and design my own subject works, thanks. I have a lot to learn and I am excited to be a part of this forum and I'm looking forward to reading and learning from everybody's guides and experience. I for some reason was thinking that there was certain rules to follow when carving but, now I find that innovation is the key, thinking outside the box is success. I'm finding that more detail makes the project and that was not what I was learning from some of the other sites I was visiting.

Thanks for such a wonderful carving forum for everybody interested in the art.

Scott

Welcome to The Carving Path, Scott!

Thanks for the great introduction to yourself and your growing interest in carving! It is good to know that this forum has been helpful, and I hope that it will continue to do so. We learn a lot from one another here, so do contribute when you are ready.

Janel

Hi Everyone, I go by Benzart. I started carving about 25 years ago using chain saw and grinder creating some pretty Ugly, crude carvings of Tiki, Pelicans and dolphins. I slowly added new tools and as the better tools came along my skills got better. I started with chisels and gouges about 5 years into my carving life and things got Much better and continued to improve.

I worked for a jewelry company doing Small things for chess sets and pendants. (Oh did I mention my earlier pieces were Big?) Anyway For the jewelry company I carved wax for the masters and only did it for a year.

Then I totally quit carving for about 5 years. Then I found a forum called Tiki Central where I found people who loved tiki's which I had carved many of in the past. Within a few weeks I was back to carving on a small scale, Small pendants and statues. I basically had to relearn how to carve and have slowly been improving my skills. I was only carving wood initially but about a year ago I was prompted to carve in Jade and stone which I Loved Very much. Of course it meant another separate work bench but that didn't matter it was very addicting.

Now about 2 months ago I started my first bone carving and am currently finishing up Number three. I Really do Love carving the bone as it seems to demand that you give it More detail. you can do so much more to it.

Now I find myself looking to smaller and finer pieces to carve and someone directed me to your pages, actually 3 people sent me links to TCP about the same time, and what I find here I can only Hope to come close to in quality. You people are just beyond belief and the stuff I find here is rally Amazing.

Soon I will post photos of some of my work when I learn how to post them here. There is So much I want to learn and I believe I see Many answers here. I am Happy to have found this family!

Thanks,

Ben

Welcome to The Carving Path Forum, Ben!

Thank you for the good introduction. You have had lots of experiences along the way. I look forward to the images and to your partcipation. What is the url for the Tiki forum? Someone else mentioned it, I'd like to have a look.

Janel