Iroquois Chief Shikellamy

Dick Bonham

Hi,

Here are a few pieces I have been working on as a study for a bronze sculpture. These pieces will be part of a small portrait study for a lifesize bronze. These pieces are one sixth scale and fabricated from brass, bronze and steel (The bit of the tomahawk is dovetailed steel just for the fun or it). These pieces will be part of a clay sculpture from which I will make a rubber mold then a wax and finally a bronze sculpture.

Dick

post-15-1193939909.jpg

Hi Dick,

These are really wonderful! You must have been doing quite a lot of research for this project - looks like authentic Iroquois designs ( I've just been reading a bit about the Iroquois Nations - makes me want to travel to that part of the world one day).

Will this be part of a permanent public exhibit? I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of this - thanks for sharing!

Magnus

Hi Magnus,

Thank you, I did a lot of research for this sculpture. There will be two figures and a canoe. Right now it is in the prototype and study stage. I am trying to get the detail right so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I am working on the clay figure and will post it when it is finished. I then will start on the other figure Conrad Weiser.

Thanks,

Dick

Hi Brian,

Thanks. The prototype will be eventually be a complete sculpture. Right now I am working on the portraits of the two people. Here is a sketch of the design for the full piece. The canoe will be full of trade goods. A lot of work but fun stuff to create. The maquette will be 1/6 scale and bronze.

Dick

post-15-1194096092.jpg

The main thing i see is the trader wearing a beard,it would be very out of place for that time period.One of the gorgets almost looks like George III model which was much later. If i hadn't had other plans for the weekend i could have taken the drawing to this weekends conference and had the experts look at it.

Hi Dan,

Good eye Dan the one Gorget is late George III. It actually started out as an earlier style but I cut out the outline forgetting that it had to be bent to a bowl shape so when I bent it the ears came together to form a late 18th early 19th century Gorget. The other Gorget with the rope edging could also be Queen Anne with A R instead of GR. The beard is interesting. You don't think of that style as early 18th century but there is a contemporary description of Conrad Weiser telling of that style of beard. There is also a painting of Weiser in the collection of the Philadelphia Museum of Art which was painted in the late eighteenth century and said to be the only known picture of Weiser known to exist. However, there is another painting from the early nineteenth century in the collection of the Pennsylvania Museum Commission said to be painted from a description of someone who knew him. Both of these paintings show him with that style of beard. Both of your comments were right on the money! Thanks.

Dick

PS

If you get a chance in the future show the picture to the experts you mentioned since I am trying to get this piece as accurate as possible and input is helpful.

Hi Dick,

Nice work!

If you are interested in further research into the Iroquois of this period, I would suggest you check out Peter MacLeod's book The Canadian Iroquois during the Seven Years War Book Link

I worked with Peter for several years, when I was at the Canadian War Museum, and he is pretty much considered to be THE North American expert on the subject. I was also involved in the exhibit Clash of Empires, which Peter also co-curated. Clash of Empires There is a book that accompanies this exhibit, which is also excellent, and features photos of the mannequins that Gerry Embleton did, many of which were Iroquoian. Gerry Embleton

I look forward to seeing how your work progresses.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks Phil. And thank you for the incredible job you did on the "Clash of Empires"! That was the best histioical exhibit I have ever seen. I saw the show in Pittsburgh and was blown away. I of course bought the book and have used it for these pieces. I haven't seen Peter MacLeod's book but I will check it out. Thank you again for producing a wonderful show!

Dick

Hi Dick,

No problem,

I see how the phrasing on my posting may have caused you to believe that I was a curator on this. I should point out that my role in the exhibit was very minor, and only involved recommending some of the artifacts that came from our museum, and some technical input in the early planning stages, as a member of the exhibit team. My reference to co-curating was in regards to Peter Macleod and his fellow-curators in Pennsylvania. When the exhibit was here, I gave a few walk and talk lectures on the weaponry in the exhibit for the visitors. It was one easily of the best exhibits that I have seen.

Phil

Thank you all for making The Carving Path a great resource for information and the networking of knowledge! The pooling of knowledge between you all, regarding historic works and people from North America, tied together with the detail work of ornamentation helps to educate us all.

Janel

Hi Phil,

Having had anything to do with that exhibit is a good thing. I wish I could have been on your walk and talk lectures.

Dan,

Thanks for sending out the picture. The basket, fish rack and canoe are from a lifesize diorama at the Pennsylvania State Museum that they allowed me into to photograph. I think the canoe is drawn too short. Just because these are in a museum dosen't mean ithey are gospel so please let me know what you find out. If you message me with your e-mail I will send you the pictures I have.

Thank you,

Dick

Hi Dick,

The attached link to the Canadian Museum of Civilization's website should give you a few ideas for canoe shapes: CMCC website lust click on the "search" icon, and type in "canoe" under keywords, and cxlick search. There are a lot of images here, many of which are native-made model canoes, but they are all absolutely authentic canoes. You should find what you need pretty quick.

This site is an excellent resource, and can be used for thousands of things, including most of the objects that you have here.

Phil

Archived