New netsuke in progress

Leon

I am carving a new netsuke.

It's gonna be a little net with clams.

Maybe it's out of my league but nevertheless I'm trying.

I once saw an antique netsuke with the same subject that made me think "Could I do that?".

Of course it's a totally different design and it's a long way to the kind of perfection that is usually shown here.

post-1629-1194373826.jpg

post-1629-1194374650.jpg

post-1629-1194373835.jpg

post-1629-1194373843.jpg

(An honest reply is more helpfull than a polite one!)

I think I would ask, when looking at a carving of this sort, "Does the net bag show the necessary sagging shape it would have when full of clams, and do the clams look like they are piled with weight and gravity playing a part?" I think you're doing well on both accounts. The escaping starfish adds a nice bit of humor.

Be careful in the polishing stage to not rub out all the nice rope and shell texture.

"Does the net bag show the necessary sagging shape it would have when full of clams, and do the clams look like they are piled with weight and gravity playing a part?"

Doug, those where exactly (and I do mean Exactly!) the two concerns while starting the first "lump". (Looks like I have learned a lot already here on TCP)

Thanks all of you for your kind words, it's really an encouragement.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the compliments.

I'm now slowly separating the clams from their neighbours as much as possible. They still share too much wood.

It looks easy but for me it's a struggle!

Curves, curves, curves. My next one will be square!

• 1 month later...
Guest ford hallam

Hi Leon,

that little bundle is coming along nicely, you really have bitten off quite a challenge, talk about not minding the pain ;) .

I wonder though if all that wood doesn't perhaps need a little "spice". The starfish in red coral perhaps...

The clams smooth but with the linear ridges creating the visual interest. The rope of the net dry and frayed...just some thoughts as I enjoy what you've done so far.

Thanks, Ford

Archived